Thread: Error reading Release file

Error reading Release file

Hey Guys,
    I want to install Kali on my Notebook(Real installation, Not on VMWare or VirtualBox). If I install Kali Linux I can choose the language and the Keyboard Layout. After chosing, the Installation try to "Detect hardware to find CD-Rom Drivers" but it fails and it shows an Error:
    "
    [!!] Detect and mount CD-Rom
    Error reading Release file
    The CD-Rom does not seem to contain a valid 'Release' file, orthat file could not be read correctly.

You may try to repeat CD-Rom detection but, even if it does succeed the second time, you may experience problems later in the installation.
    <Continue>
    "

When I click on "Continue"
    the message shows:

"
    [!!] Detect and mount CD-Rom
    Installtion step failed
    An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Detect and mount CD-Rom"

When I click on Continue
    the Debian installer Main Menu shows and I can choose the steps:
    Choose language
    Configure the Keyboard
    Detect and mount CD-Rom
    Load installer components from CD
    Change debconf priority
    Check the CD-Rom(s) integrity
    Save debug logs
    Execute a Shell
    Abort the installation

When I choose
    Detect and mount CD-Rom
    Load installer components from CD
    Change debconf priority
    or
    Check the CD-Rom(s) integrity
    I have the same Error as I described
    I tried the Installation 2 times with USB (Image writen on USB with LinuxLive USB Creator and Win32 Disk Imager) and 1 time with DVD+R(burned with ImgBurn) And I have everytime the same Error.

I googled it, but I couldn't find any solution.

I hope you somebody can help me.

-xChrizZx

This may be a issue with kali.
    Please could you double check the SHA1 of the ISO that you used. If it matches & you're still having issues, please submit it to http://bugs.kali.org/

And if you could provide as much information as possible and the exact commands/steps your doing.

There is also a related posting here: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...file-gt-BUG-lt

I know this is almost 6 months old, but I just experienced the same issue with Kali 1.0.7. I found the issue was with the program I used to create the live CD, which was YUMI. I switched and used LiLi (Linux Live), and was able to install without an issue.

Hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I know this is almost 6 months old, but I just experienced the same issue with Kali 1.0.7. I found the issue was with the program I used to create the live CD, which was YUMI. I switched and used LiLi (Linux Live), and was able to install without an issue.

Wow! thanks a lot Tanooki! That was a big help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post

I'm having the same issue. I followed the directions and created my USB stick with Win32 Disk Imager. After that did not work, I tried Universal-USB-Installer and UNetbootin and now Linux live... same error... any thoughts?

Thanks.