Thread: Kali loses internet after a while on VirtualBox

Kali loses internet after a while on VirtualBox

After a certain period of time, Kali (which is in a VM), loses internet connection. I have it bridged under the VirtualBox setting. Earlier this morning the internet was just fine. Now just about 11 hours later it can't get a connection. The interface is eth0. I run ifconfig eth0 down and then ifconfig eth0 up but there still is no connection. I had the VM running in the background while the computer was still on. I just went to sleep. The only way I have gotten internet connection back is to power off the VM and then start it up again. Is anyone else having this issue or can anyone recommend any potential fixes? Thanks.

Hello,
    Is th kali eth0 address is the same as your host system. If it is the case, try to change kali's IP but the new IP has to been in the same subnetwork as your host
    Cordially,
    Supertux

Make sure virtual box is the latest version. If you don't have it, no Internet connection will work on a guest os. Also, be sure you have the guest addons installed.

Yes, the Kali VM is in the same 192.168.1.x network as my other machines. VirtualBox is the latest version and I have guest additions installed.

Nine months later and I still have this issue. Kali just loses network connectivity after a while, like if I leave it running some scans overnight. A workaround can be to disconnect the network adapter from VirtualBox and then reconnect. This way you don't completely lose your nmap scan progress. It's not ideal though since you still are without an internet connection for hours until you do that. Anyone have a solution?

We suggust you use VMware - try torrents like piratebay. We gave up on Virtual Box, it gave us constant headaches while VMware is an effortless silk smooth ride.

MTB

Virtualbox is pretty good, I'm just having this one issue. I do have VMware. I'm not sure I want to switch though.

I've always gotten that issue with VBox when sending a lot of packets. If you run the VM in bridged mode instead of NAT you should be fine.

I always run it in bridged mode, but I still have this issue.