Thread: Speed and Intermittent connection issues on Alpha Wireless RTL8187.

Speed and Intermittent connection issues on Alpha Wireless RTL8187.

I am having a few slight issues with my Alpha Wireless RTL8187 usb wireless adapter.
    Those issues being Slow download times and intermittent connection stability.

I wrote up a work around for this speed issue on Linux Mint Debian edition last year found here:
    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/896

But it would seem my workaround no longer works (or twerks) around the issue.

Secondly I seem to be suffering of intermittent connection. Sometimes when I boot up it works fine. Others it goes from 20 - 60 minutes and dies and wont reconnect even though the security key is right?

Aside of these things I love the OS.

Got some help from muts on the IRC but after updating the kernel I am still having my issues with signal loss and speed.

HOWEVER [COMMA]
    I get the feeling on further inspection that there might be more than meets the eye in this case.
    I stepped away in the middle of a video call with a friend connected on both my tablet and chromebook (Acer c7)
    I returned 5 minutes later to find the "Admin permission required" window indicating that my connection died again.
    I entered my admin password checked the WiFi code and it all checked out but did not reconnect - Again.
    I then sat down and noticed that the video call had lagged out on my chomebook but the call was still active on my tablet.
    I deduce that the intermittent connection issue is something in house not in the OS but I could be wrong.

I still have the core issue of only getting between 20-52Kb/s downloads.on everything.
    I think this might also be a contributing factor to the intermittent connection issue.
    I COULD BE AND MOST LIKELY AM WRONG.

-Derp

[solved!]

Alright alot of the issue seems to be worked out now that I did the full system update...
    There was an update to the realtek firmware in there so I am guessing that is what fixed it!
    Speed issue is gone and to this point I have yet to disconnect! *Knocks on wood*

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP MUTS!!!!
    -Derp

always #wrapyourpackets