Thread: Corrupt HDD after Kali Linux install

Corrupt HDD after Kali Linux install

Originally, Windows 8.1 was installed on the machine. I converted one of the 100 GB partitions that were made in windows (dynamical) into an ext4 during the setup and chose it for root. Grub successfully recognized the existing windows loader and incorporated it. Setup went well.

Now, GRUB menu contains three items, two Kali-related and one for Windows. Kali is working fine (Release Kali Linux 1.0 32-bit, Kernel Linux 3.7-trunk-686-pae).

Windows can't boot, reporting problem with winload. Reinstall of windows also doesn't work, because Windows DVD can't recognize the hard disk at all. Kali doesn't recognize old partitions either, stating they are all now unallocated, to quote GParted. Since during boot I noticed that LDM is corrupt, I guess this is the key issue.

Is there any way to fix LDM to at least make the partitions visible? What can be done to rescue data?

All resources I found on internet about these problems used either windows repair through fixboot or testdisk. None of them work for me since the old partitions are rendered useless.

Unhappy Data loss after kali linux install

Originally windows 8.1 was installed on my system.Today I was choosing my 80 GB partition for installing kali linux but it was not working. I tried with the complete disk and it get install.Now, kali linux is working fine but i have lost my all the data and the other booting os. Please help me in getting that data. It contain very important files.

Did you find any solution for this? i am having the same problem. Please help me if you already foud the solution for this

4. I suspect it may be because of how Windows 8 machines are loaded on to the system,
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...windows+8+ueif
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

I have a similar problem. I installed it on a new partition just fine, booted into windows 8.1 though just fine, but my partition that I shrunk was no longer visible. I went to disk management and noticed that my partition wasn't "Active"....So what did I do....I activated it, ignoring the warning that I shouldn't activate it unless there is an OS present on that partition. I'm an idiot. That partition only had my data on it, not the windows install....so now I rebooted (for the changes to take effect) and am now in the Grub Rescue mode. I have no clue how to "deactivate" that partition, someone please help so I can use my computer again!

Edit: I can still probably boot from my USB LIVE Kali however I have no clue what to do from there.....
    Visit my blog! PenTesting for Amateurs, by Amateurs -- Request your own tutorial, or send one to me to post.
    "thevanoutside" a Wordpress Blog!