Thread: Display Issues after NVIDIA Driver Update

Display Issues after NVIDIA Driver Update

So I just installed the NVIDIA driver's for my card so I could use CUDA and Pyrit.. However originally it was to use playonlinux, but I gave up on that, laptop isn't performant enough for gaming anyways...

ANYWAYS my root account, and ONLY my root account for some reason, has it's desktop shrunk vertically, leaving 2 large black spaces above and under the desktop which still uses up the width of the screen. Now despite these spaces, the toolbars are still at the very top and bottom of the screen, however they are... multiplied? The only way I can explain it without a screenshot (which isn't working right now, I'll get on that if someone needs it) is that From left to right, the top toolbar goes || "Applications" "Fri 27 Dec. 03:22" "Fri 27 Dec. 03:22" "Fri 27 Dec. 03:22" "Fri 27 Dec. 03:22" (a couple icons) "root" "root" "root" "root" "root" ||

The bottom bar does this in the same fashion for pretty much anything in it (tabs, workspace indicators)

Any clues as to what I could do? I've already played around with deleting and replacing xorg.conf files, using nvidia-xconf.. I'm lost at this point.

I don't really have much of expirience or knowlege in Kali. But I would chek /etc/default/grub file.
    There is a line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= in that file. When installing Nvidia you disable Nouveau driver with a comand sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub which replaces the value that comes after that line with "quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g" (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g").
    Before I installed Nvidia driver default value there was "quiet" (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet").
    From my expirence, when I replaced the value to "quiet" after Nvidia installation, screen got back to normal resolution (started detecting the monitor).
    After I removed the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ (rm /etc/X11/xonfg.conf) and just rebooted (reboot), everything got back to normal.

Now, as I said, I am not very knowlageble or expirenced in Kali (or any Linux), but that looks like it helped me.
    But that maybe disables the Nvidia driver in some way, or something else, but it returned to normal for me. (at least for now).