Thread: Unable to Install Kali Linux Dual Boot with Windows 8.1

Unable to Install Kali Linux Dual Boot with Windows 8.1

I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Lenovo Y510P laptop.
    When I got the laptop I formatted the hard-drive, re-installed Windows 8.1 on a 100GB partition, and left the rest of the room.
    I tried installing Kali Linux following the steps outlined here (although the instructions are for Windows 7 Dual Boot)

I created all of the recommended partitions, went through the install, but after the install, it appears to reboot, but then just sits there with a black screen, but power still on (I can see that my laptop's keyboard still has it's backlights on.) The hard drive doesn't appear to be making any sound when this happens, but I left it for 45 minutes, and nothing ever happened.

I tried deleting the partition and just installing it using the guided option for installing where there is the most free space available, but I still ran into the same problem.

I tried using EasyBCD to boot into Kali just in case it worked - but it just brings me to the basic grub screen where I'm unable to do anything.
    Any suggestions as to what I could try? Thanks!

It seemed to just start working after a couple of tries, weird but not complaining! Reformatted again, installed again and it was good to go, just took a few tries for some reason

why would someone format hard drive & re-install windows 8 to dualboot kali linux ? funny !. if i were you i would have faithfully followed Kali documentation of how to dual boot kali along with windows. (i,e boot a kali live usb & go through G-Parted)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaWaffle View Post
    I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Lenovo Y510P laptop.
    When I got the laptop I formatted the hard-drive, re-installed Windows 8.1 on a 100GB partition, and left the rest of the room.
    I tried installing Kali Linux following the steps outlined here (although the instructions are for Windows 7 Dual Boot)

I created all of the recommended partitions, went through the install, but after the install, it appears to reboot, but then just sits there with a black screen, but power still on (I can see that my laptop's keyboard still has it's backlights on.) The hard drive doesn't appear to be making any sound when this happens, but I left it for 45 minutes, and nothing ever happened.

I tried deleting the partition and just installing it using the guided option for installing where there is the most free space available, but I still ran into the same problem.

I tried using EasyBCD to boot into Kali just in case it worked - but it just brings me to the basic grub screen where I'm unable to do anything.
    Any suggestions as to what I could try? Thanks!
    this is just name Broth, but when you choose to booting to win 7, you will get windows 8 OS, itu just title eror..

I have the same problem with the same laptop <please> help me installing Kali dual booting with windows 8.1 step by step </please>

Hey there,

Couple of questions and ideas.

Try making a bootable USB for Kali, boot that and run gparted. Make a new gpt partition table (which will wipe your data) and a partition for Windows. Leave the unused part as free space.

Boot windows and install on the 100gb

Boot Kali into live mode. Select install from the system menu and follow the prompts. Install to largest continuous free space when it comes up.

This should have Kali working but no windows in grub. If windows is uefi you should be able to run update-grub from within Kali and restart. This will put windows in grub.

If Kali and windows are not uefi, I'm not sure

Edit: is windows an eufi install and you are not making the modifications to Kali for it to install as eufi? That would cause these boot issues
    Last edited by staticn0de; 2014-04-25 at 13:11.