Im trying to install kali in virtualbox. Initially I tried to change the video resolution and only had options for 1024x768 and 800x600. I researched online and it said to fix this I had to install guest additions. So I followed the instructions in the kali documentation on how to install guest additions and when I rebooted at the end the virtual machine no longer saw my mouse or keyboard(they are a wireless set using a single usb dongle). In the menu under devices>usb devices it does list my keyboard and mouse dongle but if I click on it not only does my mouse and keyboard not work in the virtual machine it also doesn't work on my main system. If I restart my computer my mouse and keyboard work again until I start the virtual machine again.

I deleted the virtual machine and reset it up. I didn't install guest additions(figured I would get back to it later) and I ran "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" to get the latest versions of all the software and it updated a bunch of programs but it tries to install mitmproxy and gets a SyntaxError. The packages kali-linux and kali-linux-full can not update because they depend on mitmproxy.

How can I fix these problems?