Thread: Alfa AWUS036H on Kali Linux not scanning/packet injection

Alfa AWUS036H on Kali Linux not scanning/packet injection

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought myself the Alfa AWUS036H from amazon and I have been having serious problems with it. I am running Kali through vmware 10 and I am able to plug in my Alfa AWUS036H and get the wireless interface up but it will not work. Here's what I mean:
    when i type ifconfig I get this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0c:29:b6:b8:e1
    inet addr:192.168.134.128 Bcast:192.168.134.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:feb6:b8e1/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:55 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:5738 (5.7 KB) TX bytes:2615 (2.6 KB)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0x2024

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:15 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:15 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:953 (953.0 B) TX bytes:953 (953.0 B)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 98:3f:9f:21:94:52
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

So it is able to detect it... but when I try a iwlist scan:

lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Failed to read scan data : No such device

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

So the card crashes. I have tried installing THREE different drivers but of course they did not install correctly because i have very bad luck.

The next thing i noticed about the card was that its chipset is wrong. I bought the Alfa AWUS036H and it was supposed to come with the Realtek 8187 2.0 USB 56.0 mbps but instead I got the Ralink 2870/3070...

I don't know why this is and I have googled it and no one else seems to have this issue. Anyway, the card is able to get into monitor mode and scan for networks but the second I try and send a DEAUTH packet the card crashes again. I have tried setting it to max power and I am able to run iwlist scan but then the card crashes if i try and do it again. Really pissed at Alfa right now and would appreciate any help from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by OneHappyTaco View Post
    The next thing i noticed about the card was that its chipset is wrong. I bought the Alfa AWUS036H and it was supposed to come with the Realtek 8187 2.0 USB 56.0 mbps but instead I got the Ralink 2870/3070...
    Couple things.

One, you have to make sure that the card is disconnected from the host OS and connected to the guest OS.

Two, I'm assuming that you did this because you get output from ifconfig.

Three, your card is fake. You are right, it is supposed to have an RTL8187L chipset.

Four, if you look up the mac address found in ifconfig for wlan0, it shows that it is from Suzhou Network Technology in China. Look here

I bought my card from a seller named DBROTH. I think he's stationed in Pennsylvania... anyways, return your current fake AWUS036H and buy one from here (its the standard one with the 5dbi antenna but no suction cup mount etc... it's the one I got and it's legit). They're priced at $27.99 but they're legit.. and make sure its from DBROTH.

(Don't buy the first one thats $18.61!!! It even says rt3070 chipset which is not in the AWUS036H!!) Spend the extra money and get a legit card.
    Last edited by soxrok2212; 2014-01-03 at 22:29.

simplify ur setuP to ensure it works correctly frm the factory.

........,boot kali live and check it without the VMs

If your going to be using your machine with kali long term. I think it's pretty ideal to get away from Running Kali on VMs, just to keep things simple and try to minimize problems. I like just installing kali on my HDD for what its worthh

Thank you for the feedback. No more buying from amazon... I will be keeping the Virtual Machine because partitioning is a pain and I don't wanna mess anything up. Plus, there aren't many advantages to switching.

Quote Originally Posted by soxrok2212 View Post
    Couple things.

One, you have to make sure that the card is disconnected from the host OS and connected to the guest OS.

Two, I'm assuming that you did this because you get output from ifconfig.

Three, your card is fake. You are right, it is supposed to have an RTL8187L chipset.

Four, if you look up the mac address found in ifconfig for wlan0, it shows that it is from Suzhou Network Technology in China. Look here

I bought my card from a seller named DBROTH. I think he's stationed in Pennsylvania... anyways, return your current fake AWUS036H and buy one from here (its the standard one with the 5dbi antenna but no suction cup mount etc... it's the one I got and it's legit). They're priced at $27.99 but they're legit.. and make sure its from DBROTH.

(Don't buy the first one thats $18.61!!! It even says rt3070 chipset which is not in the AWUS036H!!) Spend the extra money and get a legit card.

I am actually running into the exact same issue with the same card.

I am booting kali off of a live USB no VM's.

using airmen-ng it will scan and find available networks and clients however issuing the command iwlist wlan0 scanning it says "walnut Interface doesn't support scanning or Scan data not read.

I can bring the card up but thats about it and ifconfig sees the card, lsusb sees the device....it just will not scan.

Any ideas?

try to use another mini usb cable