Thread: Issues with some dsniff tools

Issues with some dsniff tools

Hello,

I'm having some issues with some dsniff tools, specifically urlsnarf, msgsnarf, webspy, and dsniff.

A brief background. I have been messing with Kali Linux for about 9 months or so, off and on. When on, the intensity is quiet high; it's become somewhat of a hobby. My first install of Kali was in an ASUS, and I encountered no issues with urlsnarf during that time. Nor did I experience any issues with that tool with Kali installed in a VM. Long story short, and sometime later, I purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad and of course installed Kali. After that, I have nothing but problems with urlsnarf. Many tutorials later, from all sorts of people and, two re-installs later, the issue persists. Urlsnarf displays nothing! At that point I created a Backbox "like" OS from a stock installation of Ubuntu on a completely different computer, this time an MSI. Still the same issue; urlsnarf displays nothing. Then I tried every tool I could in the dsniff bag of goodies, and they of course display nothing! on both computers!

My commands are as follows:

nmap -sS -A 192.168.1.0/24

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

arpspoof -i wlan1 -t 192.168.1.X 192.168.1.1

(seperate terminal)

urlsnarf -i wlan1

I know that arpspoof is working because I can see the protocol in tcpdump -i wlan1 and in wireshark, and when I run driftnet -i wlan1 it displays pictures.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Hello,

I'm having some issues with some dsniff tools, specifically urlsnarf, msgsnarf, webspy, and dsniff.

A brief background. I have been messing with Kali Linux for about 9 months or so, off and on. When on, the intensity is quiet high; it's become somewhat of a hobby. My first install of Kali was in an ASUS, and I encountered no issues with urlsnarf during that time. Nor did I experience any issues with that tool with Kali installed in a VM. Long story short, and sometime later, I purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad and of course installed Kali. After that, I have nothing but problems with urlsnarf. Many tutorials later, from all sorts of people and, two re-installs later, the issue persists. Urlsnarf displays nothing! At that point I created a Backbox "like" OS from a stock installation of Ubuntu on a completely different computer, this time an MSI. Still the same issue; urlsnarf displays nothing. Then I tried every tool I could in the dsniff bag of goodies, and they of course display nothing! on both computers!

My commands are as follows:

nmap -sS -A 192.168.1.0/24

arpspoof -i wlan1 -t 192.168.1.X 192.168.1.1

(seperate terminal)

urlsnarf -i wlan1

I know that arpspoof is working because I can see the protocol in tcpdump -i wlan1 and in wireshark, and when I run driftnet -i wlan1 it displays pictures.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    hi
    if this can maybe help you:
    -try arpspoof """two-ways""" seem to passed my little test:
    http://imageshack.us/f/23/v9wa.png/

Okay..

I booted into my windows OS and ran kali in a VM and spoofed the host computer, and in this scenario, urlsnarf does indeed work.

But, when I use my thinkpad and aprspoof my windows machine it performs a DOS. After reading that another user was having issues with his Alfa card, I decided to try arpspoofing using the built in wireless card, and yep! doesn't work either. It performs a DOS! I do not understand... I echo 1 > /proc/... so it should be forwarding traffic.

Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Okay..

I booted into my windows OS and ran kali in a VM and spoofed the host computer, and in this scenario, urlsnarf does indeed work.

But, when I use my thinkpad and aprspoof my windows machine it performs a DOS. After reading that another user was having issues with his Alfa card, I decided to try arpspoofing using the built in wireless card, and yep! doesn't work either. It performs a DOS! I do not understand... I echo 1 > /proc/... so it should be forwarding traffic.

Ugh...
    hi
    i "replace" my TEST with my NoteBook (attacker with kali1.05x32usb-stick) connected with alfa 36h(wlan1-ip 192.168.1.4)to MY access-point(192.168.1.1) >>versus>>
    victim my PC-DESKTOP connected via eth0(192.168.1.2) to access-point && seems to work!!
    http://imageshack.us/f/89/egot.png/
    @zoom 1600x1200

Hey, zimmaro, thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I'm still having issues with urlsnarf, and some other dsniff tools.

Although urlsnarf doesn't work while I'm arp spoofing my network, it does work if I create a fake ap... as follows...

...airbase-ng stuff...

brctl addbr mitm
    brctl addif mitm eth0
    brctl addif mitm at0
    ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
    ifconfig at0 0.0.0.0 up
    ifconfig mitm up
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/youknowtherest

urlsnarf -i at0

^^urlsnarf works^^

But, does not work with arpspoof and...

urlsnarf -i wlan1

weird!

That is the rpoblem, you are messing with the configuration directly so the other tools don't work properly because they can't handle that config. Is like trying to navigate with a inetdev in promiscuous mode allways.