Thread: Dual boot vs Vmware: Do I lose Kali functionalities with virtualization?

Cool Dual boot vs Vmware: Do I lose Kali functionalities with virtualization?

Hi everyone,

I have Windows 8 as my main OS and I'm used to have a bunch of VMware boxes for specialized functions.
    I'm engaged in a self training in Kali Linux what I will use for security study.

At first look I believe Kali Linux would perform better in a dual boot setup, having direct access to the HW.
    Software functions like SQL Injection tools and others I believe there will be no problem
    However, I'm not sure if HW functions like Wireless attacks can be done in a virtualized box even in Bridge Mode.

Do you have such experience? What will I lose by having VMWare instead of dual box.

And just to explain, I tried to dual boot... https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux
    but I would like to keep Secure Boot ON and the present solutions for enabling Kali Linux to do it is too complex.

Best regards

what adapter do you use?

Yes you can still do wireless pen-testing in VMs. Same as without a VM, you need to have a compatible wireless adapter with the compatible chipset (there are multiple forums here on this exact topic). I am setting up a dual boot right now because of the processing power. I want to be able to more accurately control how kali utilizes my processors instead of vmware managing them. Also I have read that ARP spoofing software like ettercap works better outside of a virtual environment, and if you think about it, it just might be true as there isn't that extra layer of translation to go through.
    Visit my blog! PenTesting for Amateurs, by Amateurs -- Request your own tutorial, or send one to me to post.
    "thevanoutside" a Wordpress Blog!

(1) Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (Atheros Communications)
    (2) Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    RTL8106, 8136 or 8168 (from Windows, I'm not sure which of them)