Thread: update to kali 1.06 but still booting with kernel 3.7.Can't boot with kernel 3.12

Question update to kali 1.06 but still booting with kernel 3.7.Can't boot with kernel 3.12

I had installed kali linux 1.05 64bits in my laptop. I've recently updated kali packages, and it seems I'v got now kali 1.06, but I'm still booting with kernel 3.7 .I've seen kernel 3.12 has already been installed with the rest of 1.06 updates, but I can't boot with it.
    (in this same laptop I've got installed windows 8 and ubuntu 12.04 next to kali, and ubuntu rules the grub)

what should I do if I want to boot with kernel 3.12 instead of kernel 3.7?

Thanks for your help

Sorry, I reply myself: I just needed to copy some lines from kali linux grub.cfg to ubuntu 12.04 grub.cfg, and that's all, now I can boot with 3.12 or 3.07 kernel, with both.

Need to read more about linux. Perhaps you have been quite sometime in ubuntu. This is Debian.

First you are not to touch the grub.cfg, that is very stated in the kernel page.

Second, you have templates (/etc/grub.d) and the grub file (/etc/defaults/grub) to handle the kernel, then just update-grub. That'll do it.

Third, if you want your kernel to update every time there is a new kernel version, you have to install: linux-image-amd54 (for 64 bit systems).

Then every "aptitude safe-upgrade", the new kernel version will be installed.

Luck.

thanks for your time & help, maverick35...

I totally agree with you: I should spend more time trying to study linux (debian in this case) and its "idiosyncrasy"...I asked for a solution for my problem to three of my teachers. I'm studying to become a system admin (vocational studies) at the south of Spain...none of them gave me any kind of help (they are all IT engineers, but they finished studying long time ago, they are not required to update their knowledge, so they don't, so many of them dont know anything at all about things like "updating GRUB", like for example my "Operating Systems" teacher, the one who teachs me UNIX, linux etc...)...this is the situation of education in Spain (at least in my school) ... then if we need any help we have to look for it in forums like this one...

anyway, thanks very much for your help

something unrelated with this is, what should I do with old 3.7 kernel? and more important
    should I uninstall all the packages related to nvidia optimus I installed with kernel 3.7? (I mean bumblebee, primus etc etc...)

PD: the laptop I'm using is a bit tricky...it's a samsung "ultrabook" S5 with a standar HDD and a 24gb SSD just for caching. Everytime I update GRUB I have to be very careful to not touch at all the SSD for a variety of reasons. This shouldnt be a problem, but sometimes it is. That's why I try to avoid updating grub "atomatically". Perhaps all of this has nothing to do with what you are telling me,but before reading you I didn't knew any other option
    Last edited by txernobill; 2014-01-11 at 08:17. Reason: correction

Well, depending on how you installed them. In debian, if you build the modules (propietary driver) using dkms, every kernel udate will update the nvidia module in an auto mode, if you installed from vendor (driver) you will have to re install driver with new kernel and new headers.

By the way, you need to install linux-headers-amd64 to also update the headers according to the new kernel.

Keep the old kernel image and try to install nvidia propietary drivers from repos instead. Once you are done, try them. If they are all ok, then remove the old kernel, but not before.

To remove the the old kernel, do: aptitude purge linux-image-"xxxxxx" where xxxx is the old kernel.

Mandame un pm si tienes dudas.

Luck.

Thanks again for your help, maverick35
    I Installed the nvidia drivers using dkms, so I'm going to take a look at this.

first update the grub
    apt-get update
    update-grub
    then
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    and about kernel for create the new version :
    aptitude safe-upgrade