Thread: guest additions + upgrade

Angry guest additions + upgrade

Hello everyone,
    I write this tread because I didn t found the solution for this issue.
    The problem is when I upgrade my kali-linus-64bit on virtual machine after the reboot the guest addition doesn t work.
    I can t see it in full screen anymore, and if I try to reistall the guest addition after the rebbot I can t log in the os, and the mouse doesn t come in the virtual machine.
    I try to uninstall the guest and reinstall but the problem still.
    I can have a root shell in recovery mode and l i see this error during the boot

/etc/ipsec-tools.confpkey_open: Address family not supported by protocol failed!

[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure: setkey ... failed!

Thanks to all for help

With the release of 1.0.6, there is a new kernel. When you upgrade the kernel, you will need to re-install VMware tools/Virtualbox additions.

Now, with VMware...
    VMware Tools always lags behind new kernels, which always causes us headaches and this time is no exception. At the time of this release, VMware Tools does not cleanly compile against kernel 3.12 and requires a set of patches. We have posted these Kali Linux VMware Tools patches on GitHub along with instructions on how to use them. We suspect that these build issues will go away in future releases of VMware Tools.
    Source: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-106-released/

I don't use Virtualbox, but I would guess its the same (it needing time to support the newer kernels).

For Virtualbox, I have simply been able to install the new headers and re-install the VBox additions.
    OSCP
    --
    If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; then it probably is a duck.

Hi guys and thanks for answer.

@g0tmilk
    I try the patch but I m unable to find VMwareTools-*.tar.gz I m on oracle virtual machine

@rastamouse

I tried to reinstall the guest additions but after reboot I m unable to click in the VM the mouse pointer doesn t go in

I don t know what i can do.

The kernel 3.7 give me the root shell the new one give me initramfs error.

Thanks agai

I think you're a bit confused. You don't need both VMWare tools and VirtualBox additions - it depends on which visualisation software you are using. I see from the screenshots above that you're using VirtualBox, so you don't need to worry about VMWare tools.

It looks like you have the VBoxLinuxAdditions file on your machine, I'm assuming this is the latest package.

Try running:
    Code:
    apt-get -y update; apt-get -y install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    This should install the latest headers for your kernel. Then:
    Code:
    ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    OSCP
    --
    If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; then it probably is a duck.

Hello and thankx again for the answer...
    @rastamouse
    I m not confused..Or i didn t explain well or you don t understood
    When I start my virtual machine I have that

This is what I have after upgrade.

Now if I start the new kernel 3.12-kali-amd64 I m unable to click the log in, the mouse doesn' t come in it.
    That happen after i did the command you suggest to me....
    If i start the same kernel ( 3.12-kali-amd64) in recovery mode he give me initramfs error...

I can have a shell only in the old kernel 3.7-trunk-amd64 in recovery mode because when i did again the command who you suggest me the same think happened ( I m unable to click the log in, the mouse doesn' t come in it)

I hope this time i explained everything's good..

So now I can't start both kernel...

This problem happened every time I upgrade OS in the virtual machine..

Thank you for any help