Thread: Kali - Live USB - Kernel Panic

Unhappy Kali - Live USB - Kernel Panic

I ve been trying to create a live bootable usb key running kali linux.

so i downloaded the 32 bit version from the site and followed the instructions, (using the dd command) and created a pendrive version. i also added persistence to the boot. the usb key used was 16gb... fat 32 initially..

however, upon booting from it, this happens:-

1556200_446179638841689_507453718_o.jpg

i used the 32 bit version so as to get maximum compatibility with maximum hardware configs...

is it a bad block? what am i doing wrong? can the persistence have created an issue? should i use unetbootin or sumfing? why is the dd command not doing its job properly??

anyone got any ideas??

also, whats a good way to make sure that ur live bootable pendrives work on all sorts of hardwares???

Also, i tried this twice. same result. havent been able to try it on different hardware yet... maybe tomorrow..

i also tried to make the install happen with unetbootin. it just stood stuck at 9% at the SQUASHFS part.

I strongly suggest to reformat the usb stick and check the download integrity (sha1). It seems to me like you have an issue with the usb stick and also the download integrity.

You can try this:
    badblocks /dev/sdxx (xx is the usb partition)

thnks for ur response. i've reformatted the key 3-4 times since..

i checked the sha1 immediately after download. i tried the process using unetbootin as well...it got and stayed stuck at 9% (SQUASHFS)

ill redownload the iso and update you guys. thanks again..

Try to re-create usb (fix all issues, not just formatting).

Use fdisk and mkfs.vfat, that will fix partition table issues, type of file system, blocks, etc.

Any doubt on this matter, let me know.

By the way, have you tried installing from DVD?..Again, try another usb stick or DVD.

Also check that no other usb device is connected just your USB stick (another usb stick or SD card)
    Last edited by maverik35; 2014-01-17 at 17:43.

Kernel panic / i have a similar issue Help!!

houston i have a problem
    i am working on a macbook air mid 2013 os is mavericks
    got bootcamp installed and windows 7
    downloaded the backtrack 64 bit iso
    dowloaded unetbootin
    unetbootin puts the file on my usb

when i try to run BT via usb im getting the following image on my screen
    and it just freezes.

does somebody have a solution!
    cheers,
    Unity176

Quote Originally Posted by unity176 View Post
    Kernel panic / i have a similar issue Help!!

houston i have a problem
    i am working on a macbook air mid 2013 os is mavericks
    got bootcamp installed and windows 7
    downloaded the backtrack 64 bit iso
    dowloaded unetbootin
    unetbootin puts the file on my usb

when i try to run BT via usb im getting the following image on my screen
    and it just freezes.

does somebody have a solution!
    cheers,
    Unity176
    Unebootin?????.Please, read "Kali USB Installation". Do not use unebootin...Please read Kali wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Unebootin?????.Please, read "Kali USB Installation". Do not use unebootin...Please read Kali wiki.
    This thread is a bit old but pertinent to me as I am having similar issues.

Not sure I understand your response not to use unetbootin. I believe he was trying to run Kali from the LiveUSB stick (rather than install from the stick) and used unetbootin to put Kali on the stick, which I thought was a preferred method?

The Kali Wiki does say to use Win32 Disk Imager. Hoewever, Win32 Disk Imager does not write ISO images (and probably should be fixed in the Wiki). Quoting the Sourceforge Wiki: "This is a Windows program for saving and restoring images from removable drives (USB drives, SD Memory cards, etc). It can be used to write boot images (i.e. ubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+omap4.img) to a SD Flash device or USB flash device, making it bootable. It currently does not* support writing an ISO image to usb."

This is the incorrect (I think) Wiki entry re using Win32 Disk Imager that I think needs editing -- from: http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

Preparing for the USB copy

Download Kali linux.
    If running Windows, download Win32 Disk Imager.
    No special software is needed for a *nix OS.
    A USB Key (at least 2GB capacity for mini, 4GB for regular).
    Kali Linux Live USB Install Procedure

Imaging Kali on a Windows Machine

Plug your USB stick into your Windows USB port and launch the Win32 Disk Imager software
    Choose the Kali Linux ISO file to be imaged and verify that the USB drive to be overwritten is the correct one.
    kali-usb-install-windows

Once the imaging is complete, safely eject the USB drive from the Windows machine. You can now use the USB device to boot into Kali Linux.

Thanks,
    Eunix

EDIT:

Alright, it looks like my problem is the docs recommend Win32 Disk Imager, but Win32 Disk Imager says it won't load an ISO. So I'm not sure if I am still supposed to try and load the ISO anyway? I also ran into some confusion with Unetbootin, the docs don't mention that you shouldn't use it and I assumed it was a standard installer for Kali (as it is for many other distros). I further compounded that confusion by successfully using Unetbootin to load Kali 64 onto a stick and it ran fine in Live mode. Only after it didn't work when I tried to run a 32 bit stick did I see that Unetbootin is not recommended. I am doing some further testing to see how Unetbootin does/doesn't work and if it is possible to fix the install post Unetboot by modifying a few files. Modifying the syslinux.cfg file is an option (see post #7 at https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll-Kali-at-all) . One standard response to how to install a LiveUSB stick is "read the docs" and "use DD". But the goal (for me at least) is to figure out how to do it from a Windows environment.
    Last edited by Eunix; 2014-02-27 at 02:38. Reason: New info

possible solution

Quote Originally Posted by humble_george View Post
    I ve been trying to create a live bootable usb key running kali linux.

so i downloaded the 32 bit version from the site and followed the instructions, (using the dd command) and created a pendrive version. i also added persistence to the boot. the usb key used was 16gb... fat 32 initially..

however, upon booting from it, this happens:-

1556200_446179638841689_507453718_o.jpg

i used the 32 bit version so as to get maximum compatibility with maximum hardware configs...

is it a bad block? what am i doing wrong? can the persistence have created an issue? should i use unetbootin or sumfing? why is the dd command not doing its job properly??

anyone got any ideas??

also, whats a good way to make sure that ur live bootable pendrives work on all sorts of hardwares???
    Hello, I had the same issue, I was looking but nothing works so I decided to start again:
    create the live usb: http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install, then after boot with USB i selected the "install" option, no "graphic install".

after setup the installation and wait some minutes I have Kali.