Thread: Wifi in Windows breaks

Wifi in Windows breaks

Hi all,

Installed Kali booting alongside Windows 7. This might be an easy fix but it's annoying me.

TL;DR If I've been using Kali with the Wifi Manager disabed (so I can packet inject) and then I switch off completely, next time I switch back on and boot straight to windows, Wifi doesn't work.

1. Wifi isn't working in Windows 7 (no connections available).
    2. Hardware switch is enabled, no warning flags in Device Manager. Windows troubleshooter says the hardware switch is off (but it isn't). Reinstalling drivers doesn't help.
    3. Reboot into Kali. Airplane mode is forced on (when disabled, it switches back on). This might be default Kali behavior, I don't know.
    4. rfkill unblock all
    5. Soft reboot into Windows 7, Wifi is working fine again.
    6. Shutdown completely. Switch on and boot up to Windows 7, Wifi still working.
    7. Restart, boot into Kali. Airplane mode on. Rfkill unblock all.
    8. Shutdown completely. Switch on and boot up to Windows 7, Wifi still working.
    9. Boot into Kali, rfkill unblock all. Want to packet inject and have to to kill wifi manager as it interfers with packet injection.
    10. /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
    11. Do some work in Kali. Shutdown.
    12. Later boot into windows, Wifi isn't working again until I go back into Kali and do the rfkill fix.

Kali is somehow creating a softblock which is kept in Windows. At the moment I think it's the network manager being stopped that's causing it, but I don't understand how a software block in Kali is creating a block in Windows. It's kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by lizard View Post

Kali is somehow creating a softblock which is kept in Windows. At the moment I think it's the network manager being stopped that's causing it, but I don't understand how a software block in Kali is creating a block in Windows. It's kind of annoying.
    I have not seen something like that. Keeping a lock in linux and rebooting into windows with the lock?...I do not think so, at all. You might have an issue with the winbug driver.

Weird, seems im having the same issues. I just updated my kali yesterday.
    Unless rfkill is done on kali, wifi will not work on windows.

mmmm, quite strange..Anyone else with the same issue?