Thread: rtw_cmd_thread: DriverStopped(0) SurpriseRemoved(1) break at line 482

rtw_cmd_thread: DriverStopped(0) SurpriseRemoved(1) break at line 482

I have Kali 1.06 installed on a Raspberry Pi (thanks for all the fixes, by the way) with two Edimax 7811Un USB wifi dongles (RTL8192cu chipset) on a powered hub. Wlan0 has a static address that isn't being used right now and wlan1 is on my home WPA2 network. Regardless of using a keyboard or SSHing into the Pi, whenever I perform a network download of any meaningful size, I get this error:

rtw_cmd_thread: DriverStopped(0) SurpriseRemoved(1) break at line 482

Before I get the error, I can SSH in just fine, change configuration files, move around ... I can wget a few small files just fine ... but when I try apt-get update or apt-get install, that error pops up.

And once that appears, I lose network connectivity (despite ifconfig still showing my old home DHCP IP) until I reboot by either the command prompt via keyboard or pulling the plug. If I'm out of the house and SSH'd in, I'm just screwed until I get back home.

Googling only shows me one other instance (on a music forum, but the user is also on a Raspberry Pi with the same USB NIC).

Where is that error coming from? What do I need to do to fix it or keep it from appearing in the first place?

open terminal : /etc/init.d/networking restart
    set wlan0 up
    set eth0 up
    set wlan1 up

Thanks, @bond benz ... is that a permanent fix or just a good way to bring it back up? My biggest concern is getting disconnected while SSH'd into it and unable to reboot.

If every time you download something you loose conectivity, you have to restart networking services over and over again. The issue here is if you get another disconection after restaring networking services.

If problem persist, that might be a driver issue. Did you installed the firmware-realtek?...You might want to do so. Try it.

The RTL8192cu chipset requires a firmware, not just the driver itself. Check that first: aptitude show firmware-realtek and see if it is installed.

luck.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    If every time you download something you loose conectivity, you have to restart networking services over and over again. The issue here is if you get another disconection after restaring networking services.

If problem persist, that might be a driver issue. Did you installed the firmware-realtek?...You might want to do so. Try it.

The RTL8192cu chipset requires a firmware, not just the driver itself. Check that first: aptitude show firmware-realtek and see if it is installed.

luck.
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm home again and rebooted, will let you know if it happens again. I was downloading the realtek drivers at the time (and "aptitude show" indicates that it's installed now) ... so here's hoping!