Thread: Fixing the AMD Catalyst 13.12 for Kali 3.12 linux

Fixing the AMD Catalyst 13.12 for Kali 3.12 linux

Hi,
    As some of you know AMD Catalyst 13.12 is not working on any Debian system with >= KERNEL_VERSION(3,12,0)
    So i decided to give it a go and try to fix the MAIN driver (Please dont tell me to run to the BETA DRIVER please, im almost certain there will be issues there as well i just wanna try to fix the main driver) .

I posted a similar thread in the hashcat forum but i was well warned that they just cared about hashcat issues and this is not one of them.

First i got the driver from the official AMD site
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...p?os=Linux+x86

First thing is first - when i unpack the driver in some directory (i unpack it because the source would not compile)

And the kcl_acpi.c needs a small patch [note the patch is not mine]
    Code:
    --- kcl_acpi.c
    +++ kcl_acpi.c
    @@ -995,7 +995,11 @@
    #endif
         {
             return KCL_ACPI_ERROR;
    -    }    
    +    }
    +#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(3,9,1)
    +    ((acpi_tbl_table_handler)handler)(hdr);
    +#else
         ((acpi_table_handler)handler)(hdr);
    +#endif
         return KCL_ACPI_OK;
    }
    When that is done i recognized a bunch of warnings that i wanted to get rid off , they were "depricated" warnings so i fixed them

Code:
    # if im in the unpacked driver installation directory 
    echo 5 > ./packages/Debian/dists/etch/compat  
    echo 5 > ./packages/Debian/dists/experimental/compat
    echo 5 > ./packages/Debian/dists/lenny/compat
    echo 5 > ./packages/Debian/dists/sid/compat
    So that got rid of the warnings , not i looked at the error messages and figured out a couple of things:

Kali (at least my installation) has both X11 and X11R6 on the system but no symlinks between them , so i had to create some to make the installation go smoother:

Code:
    ln -s /usr/bin/X11  /usr/X11R6/bin
    ln -s /usr/lib/X11  /usr/X11R6/lib64/X11
    After that i kept getting errors, i dig into the shell script code to see whats the problem (1500lines of code) fixed some retarded errors that werent important
    And the road leead me to ati-packager.sh in Debian folder. Now it was related to the ati-installer so i first had to cut it off ati-installer by changing the code of the rootdirectory it used (i kinda disconnected it from ati-installer.sh so i can debug the ati-packager.sh itself i will change the code back once ati-packager is fixed)

So the one thing keeps getting noticed it used some x710_64a folder (im on x86_64) and that obviously did not exist in the installation directory.

Now that keep me thinking i had xpic_64a dir so probably it was the right thing to do to change the ati-packager.sh to use it instead. But i wanted to know where the x710_64a was from - answer FROM PREVIOUS driver versions

So basicaly the ati-packager.sh was copied from previous driver version(maybe changed a bit but definetly not written from the start) and ofc its not working well in this one.

So i changed it to use the xpic_64a folder.

Then more errors occured
    Code:
    error: couldn't find library libatiuki.so.1 needed by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
    I knew there was a libatiuki.so.1.0 on the system so i just symlinked that to libatiuki.so.1

Code:
    # change dir untill  in ./intallationdir/arch/x86_64/usr/lib64/
    ln -s libatiuki.so.1.0 libatiuki.so.1
    #change dir untill in ./intallationdir/arch/x86/usr/lib/
    ln -s libatiuki.so.1.0 libatiuki.so.1
    That helped allot but still wasn't enough. The next error was
    Code:
    dh_install: fglrx-driver missing files (usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/*.a), aborting
    So obviously it needed some *.a file to be in the lib64/modules i figured out it was probably the new .a file that wasn't in the the old driver version
    (the old one is in build_mod named libfglrx_ip.a)

Code:
    #when in installation directory 
    ln -s ./arch/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libfglrx_dm.a ./xpic/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfglrx_dm.a
    ln -s ./arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/lib64/libfglrx_dm.a ./xpic_64a/usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/libfglrx_dm.a
    That helped that error but i now got to the next one and i was hoping the community might help me to finish this untill the end

the new error is

Code:
    # zadnja greska # amd64 needs some library redirection
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib64/*.so*"           "usr/lib"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/dri"     "usr/lib"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/linux"   "usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers" "usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions" "usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/*.so"    "usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/*.a"     "usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib/*.so*"           "emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri"     "emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib"
    dh_install -pfglrx-driver "etc/fglrx*"                "etc"
    dh_install: fglrx-driver missing files (etc/fglrx*), aborting

So again probably some file (or folder) whose name start with fglrx should be in etc/ (i have no clue still is the installer in the / directory probably is but i will see that i look at the rules file to see whats going on)

What file is that ? Once we figure that out we can symlink it and continue with debuging

Did you get the fglrx drivers installed somehow and it's just not finding them? I've been unable to get any fglrx packages installed via the repos.

Ok, so I managed to get aticonfig working from terminal by installing the 13.11 beta version of catalyst. However, when I first tried running aticonfig I got a mismatched ELF class cause it was looking for 32bit. Since I'm on 64bit kali I had to create a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ that contained the following
    <code>
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib64
    </code>
    This got rid of the errors and allowed me to run aticonfig. It recognized both my video cards so I got super excited. that excitement sort of faded when I tried to launch catalyst control center to set up my monitors though. When I launch it I get an error stating that no AMD graphics drivers are installed or they are not installed correctly but it told me to try configuring with aticonfig so I did. I initialized them and setup a dual display as well as enabled xinerama. rebooted, annnnnnnnnd...... text mode! ****! So close!
    I tried a few other configs but my X logs keep complaining about fglrx not being able to be loaded. However I can modprobe it and it shows up in lsmod so I'm not sure whats up. If you need any specifics hit me back and I'll share what I've gotten so far but I think we're still not where we want to be until either the repos are fixed or someone who really knows what they're doing comes along with some advise we've overlooked haha..
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stainedhat
    Did you get the fglrx drivers installed somehow and it's just not finding them? I've been unable to get any fglrx packages installed via the repos.
    If you're going via the repos you're going to "install" the old fglrx driver. When i say install i actually mean it has broken source code for the new kernel, i fixed that but that did not do the trick for 2 reasons:
    1. The fglrx version is old
    2. The driver does not get recognized

This is a good time as any to say my final goal is to get driver to be recognized as well as to get oclhashcat working with amd on kali 3.12

So i know what you mean when you say that "no amd graphic drivers are installed"

If you want i can give you the fixed repo installation so that you can try it if it works for you that way - it did not for me.

However il try that /etc/ld.so.conf.d to try and configure it but tbh i dont think that is the problem - the problem is always in the installation directory and its shell script files
    (that is when i linked all libraries that its using as well as made ati-packager for debian independant of the installation)

No, I gave up on the repos because there were package version mismatches and it just wasn't going anywhere. I installed it with the beta catalyst installer from AMD (13.11-betaV9.95). Thats where the current fglrx drivers come from on my system. Eventually I got it installed without generating any errors in the amd installer log however as I've stated it's still not being recognized by the system for some reason.
    It seems like our goals are similar so I'd be happy to try and work together towards a resolution. Maybe I'll wipe out what I have so far and try to work with the main installer as well but I feel like I'm close and just missing something simple.
    Anyway, I did a bit of digging and I'm wondering if the files you may be looking for are:
    /etc/fglrx
    /etc/fglrx/XvMCConfig
    /etc/fglrx/pxpress-free.ld.so.conf
    These are listed as being provided by an ATI catalyst package for mageia. I know thats not exactly what we're looking for but I'm wondering if the script is looking for something from a previous version or a non-debian based system? You can find the files in the list here.

And no, that file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ will not help you at this point. That was only a fix for a arch problem after I got the beta version installed. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful at this point but I'm sort of stumped. I'll get back into it tonight after work though.
    Best of luck!