Thread: Can't install ATI drivers

Can't install ATI drivers

I'm trying to follow along the ATI Driver installation guide here: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Kali-Linux-1-x

But when I enter this command:
    Code:
    apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control fglrx-glx fglrx-atieventsd fglrx-modules-dkms
    I get the following errors:

Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     fglrx-driver : Depends: libgl1-fglrx-glx (= 1:13.12-3kali1) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: glx-alternative-fglrx (>= 0.4.1~) but 0.4.0~bpo70+1 is to be installed
     fglrx-glx : Depends: libgl1-fglrx-glx but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Help would be appreciated!

i would suggest to install from ati install script from the ATI web page

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...Linux%20x86_64

I'm having the same problem, it appears to be specifically due to the line

Code:
    Depends: glx-alternative-fglrx (>= 0.4.1~) but 0.4.0~bpo70+1 is to be installed
    I would follow the instructions from https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary, but it requires some Debian 7 "Wheezy" things in /etc/apt/sources.list and I don't know if it would be safe to add them now due to Kali's deviations from Wheezy. I originally tried installing the latest stable release of the Catalyst driver, but it results in a DKMS error that I couldn't fix. Others were able to patch the AMD install files, and I tried to do this manually, but I think I still get the problem due to my 3.12 Kernel being too new. The latest beta release of the Catalyst driver builds successfully (no DKMS error) but somehow 'aticonfig' gets screwed up, and gives an error:
    Code:
    error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I checked libGL.so.1, and couldn't find a problem with it. I then tried to build the package manually using
    Code:
    ./amd-driver-installer-13.35.1005-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/stable
    But it fails due to
    Code:
    dh_install: Compatibility levels before 5 are deprecated (level 4 in use)
    cp: cannot stat `./usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/linux': No such file or directory
    dh_install: cp -a ./usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/linux debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/xorg/modules/ returned exit code 1
    make: *** [binary] Error 2
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.cj15fC
    So now like the original author here, I figured I could at least fall back to the original "fglrx-driver" package available in the repo, but I can't. The only reason I'm screwing around with these AMD proprietary drivers is to get OpenCL working, so if anyone has some advice on that, I'd love to hear it.

Well, I fixed it. Add the "testing" or "jessie" Debian repo to your sources.list file, apt-get update, then just install the fglrx-driver package and it grabs all necessary dependencies. The fglrx version is very new, looking at the dmesg output it appears to be roughly Catalyst version 13.25.

Thanks for link man, its work!

Greetings to All. I am relatively new to this forum and I have a big problem with Kali OS First I installed the 64bit Kali on the hard drive and when I start the system appeared to me a problem. My graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6570
    not recognized (there have been small dashes and points at the display).Anyway, I tried to install the driver on this way:https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ighlight=Pyrit and I was not able to install the driver normally. Following the instructions of hexed6 i had many mistakes, and I managed to place upon them through your forums with various solutions but none of that has success.I think kernal of kali OS is not good for my AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphic so I will download KALI 32 or 86bit version and try to install ATI drivers

I'm sorry if i wrong written this text because i used google translate to translated,
    and I thanks in advance for your efforts to help me.
    Last edited by Alexcreator; 2014-02-14 at 22:57.

I managed to fix driver of my graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6570.
    First I am installed (kali-linux-1.0.6-i386.iso) Kali 86bit version, and then I did everything according to this post http://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/02/...ersion-3-12-6/
    Now I can finally get to test Kali!!!!