Thread: boot kali from usb on mac

Post boot kali from usb on mac

Hi to everyone ! I have a similar problem with many people here .The problem is when the live usb is already and when i boot from my usb the whole installation jumps the step with the 5 ways you want to follow (live usb ,install kali and the others ...) and open automatically this page

which actually is this box

he ask me for a username and password and i give root/toor and then nothing it says tha authenication failure

pleaze guys help me solve this @@#@!!problem because i have search in google everything and i still can not find a solution !

Thanks V3ng3@nc3!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by V3ng3@nc3 View Post
    Hi to everyone ! I have a similar problem with many people here .The problem is when the live usb is already and when i boot from my usb the whole installation jumps the step with the 5 ways you want to follow (live usb ,install kali and the others ...) and open automatically this page

which actually is this box

he ask me for a username and password and i give root/toor and then nothing it says tha authenication failure

pleaze guys help me solve this @@#@!!problem because i have search in google everything and i still can not find a solution !

Thanks V3ng3@nc3!
    I'm also having the same exact problem, but I didn't know many others were having this problem as well. I'll stay subscribed to hear of a solution or update if there's any progress on my end...

Same problem here as well. For background on what I've tried. Using Mac Linux USB Loader I moved the iso onto the USB and from there it will boot into the same screen that we are all having problems in. Once that didn't work I tried switching from a Debian base to a Ubuntu base but then it wouldn't boot to the USB at all. After that I went into Terminal and tried running these commands:
    diskutil list
    diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
    sudo dd if=/Users/username/Downloads/kali-linux-1.0.6-amd64.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=1m
    diskutil eject /dev/disk1
    Which I had hopes for but it didn't even allow me to Live boot at all. Lastly I tried installing it hard on a VM which worked and I was able to log on, but then Kali doesn't recognize the Air Card in my system. I'm pretty much out of ideas currently, so any help would be much appreciated.

well guys i think that i have found something good maybe it is the solution of our problem! Firstly convert the .iso torrent to an .img torrent and then try to make your bootable usb with the difficult way which is from using the terminal .After the convert watch this video *REMOVED* NO YOUTUBE LINKS *REMOVED* and then i hope that it would be works! I'm going to do this now so i will replay soon to tell you my results
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2014-03-27 at 13:56. Reason: Youtube rule

well guys i think that i have found something good maybe it is the solution of our problem! Firstly convert the .iso torrent to an .img torrent and then try to make your bootable usb with the difficult way which is from using the terminal .After the convert watch this video *REMOVED* NO YOUTUBE LINKS *REMOVED* and then i hope that it would be works! I'm going to do this now so i will replay soon to tell you my results
    That won't solve the problem. The problem is occurring because of the way the boot loader handles booting the ISO. It seems to skip over the grub menu, and I believe the problem lies there.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2014-03-27 at 13:56. Reason: Youtube rule in quote

But my friend there are not other way to make bootable the usb ...maybe if you know how to do it manual but i don't have the knowledge to do this manual...

Thumbs up Solution.

But my friend there are not other way to make bootable the usb ...maybe if you know how to do it manual but i don't have the knowledge to do this manual...
    I got it! for the most part at least.

Prerequisites:
    a Linux LiveCD
    Mac OS X
    rEFIt or rEFInd
    These files: http://bit.ly/1g13CKy

1) Erase the entire USB and use the DD command to write the ISO to the disk. On a LiveCD its: dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k on mac it should be: dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=512k

2) Boot up any livecd that has GParted (that includes Kali)

3) Create a 20 MB FAT32 partiton and name it EFI

(Create another partition if you want persistence)

4) Download the files above and copy them onto the EFI partion so it has the structure: /EFI/BOOT/* (the * indicated where all the grub files should be)

5) Reboot (it might take 2-3 times for it to show up in rEFIt/rEFInd and select BOOTX64.EFI

You may need to edit which disk/partition you boot from by booting the grub menu in step 5, then pressing E to edit it from (hd0,1) to whatever it may be. (but it should be (hd0,1))

My friend lmnope1 thank you very much for your answer but didn't help me because i have macbook pro with retina display which has not an optical drive so i couldn't follow your guide .Last but not least thankfully i follow this guide http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-mac-osx and it works AWESOME! Guys just follow it and you will solve your problem !

as far as the Authentication failure goes.... Root is the username it automatically uses. the password is the one that would be setup during the install process... not sure that THAT helps...since it skips the install process and boots straight to the live setting...but its a tip! haha

I am trying to follow this right now and am getting stuck. Can you share the commands you specifically used in terminal and just omit your username?

We have two options.
    1.- When Kali drops the login screen: Use "root" as User and the password you introduced on the install steps.
    2.- Go to the tty by Ctrl+Alt+F1, then use: "root" as User and the password you'd configured. Then, bring back the Kali Grapchis mode by Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Hi All
    I know that this is an old thread, but after spending an entire weekend trying to create a Kali Linux bootable USB without success, and much searching I stumbled across the below solution. I now have a 16GB bootable Kali Linux 1.1.0a USB with a 12GB persistence drive for storage of data etc running on a 13" MacBook Pro Early 2011 2.7GHz Intel Core i7 OSX Lion 10.7.5

Format your USB as FAT32 using Disk Util
    Follow link below to download previous build of Mac-Linux USB Loader.
    (NB: I tired the current version using Maverick OSX without success.)

https://github.com/SevenBits/Mac-Lin...oader/releases
    Scroll down to v2.0.1 and download

Install iso as debian

Rather than follow the coding example to create the persistence drive I placed the USB on a Windows 7 machine and followed the below tutorial to create the partition. Worked first time without issue.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Free Download from Cnet

Tutorial for how to use the wizard can be found at

http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how...ional-0162253/

Scroll down past the linux install.

Hope this saves some others time.