Thread: Should one clean out all packages that remain after switching from GNOME to KDE?

Should one clean out all packages that remain after switching from GNOME to KDE?

Greetings. I've had a little expirience with environments other than KDE, and never before tried to swap one for other on live system. I've been following all the guidelines laid here - https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Kali-Linux-1-x - and deleted (as I thought) GNOME, after which I'd installed KDE4. But as it seems, that has resulted in some wierd mixed environment. I still can spot a lot of installed gnome packages while browsing with aptitude, running a "system monitor" app creates a process named "gnome-system-monitor" and slow down my system significantly (its takes 50-70% of CPU for itself), and I'm afraid this is not just that. Generally, system is not so stable and respondive as it should be. The worst of all that is that at the moment I'd started to bothering by aforementioned things I already finished with transition of all my files, preferences and apps from old BT5R3 host. I would just hate to start it all over now.
    Is it safe to manually delete all this gnome packages? Won't it break some dependencies of preinstalled tools?
    Last edited by Porko; 2014-02-07 at 19:22.