Thread: Kali Linux live on mac authentication failure. Any help greatly appreciated.

Kali Linux live on mac authentication failure. Any help greatly appreciated.

After taking the better part of two evenings trying to figure this out by reading through old threads on various forums, I've finally caved.

I've successfully booted live on an old macbook from 2008 up to the point where it has the drop down menu that says "other", and asks for a username, then password. The "Kali Linux Default Passwords" states, "i386, amd64, VMWare and ARM images are configured with the default root password – “toor“, without the quotes." I keep getting authentication failures.

I've tried on both the 32 and 64 bit versions on both the old macbook and my newer one. Both were made with "Mac Linux USB Loader".

Here are some of the username/password combinations I've tried. :

root/toor
    root/password
    root/root
    toor/root
    root/(no password)
    kali/toor
    kali/(no password)
    root/kali
    root/debian
    debian/kali
    toor/toor
    admin/password
    admin/admin

and dozens of other combinations, haha. I just wanted to refrain from having to post on here unnecessarily.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TestUser Guest
    I also have the same problem and also need help!

I got the same problem too Live usb root password no good I am using a 32 bit kali I'm gunna try 64 bit and see... I'll update soon
    Last edited by brianblaze; 2014-04-07 at 22:19.

Just curious, are you able to press ctrl + f1 and then login to the terminal?

So what was the solution? I have the same problem. Logging from through the terminal doesn't work either.

same problem here

buscape to login in your machine you have to put: user: root; passwordTHE ONE THAT YOU CREATED ON THE INSTALLATION)

I have the same problem. I have spent probably in total 18 full hours (spread out over a couple weeks) trying to create a live USB on a Mac that I can boot on a Mac and I have had no success. Anyone have any information on what we can do to fix this?