Thread: Kali Live USB on Mac - Solution

Lightbulb Kali Live USB on Mac - Solution

So I've spent days on this, and I know others are frusturated as well. But i think i finally found out the easiest way to make a live USB of Kali thats Mac compatible. Give it a try and tell me if anything goes wrong and ill definetley look into it.

So, here we go;

Prerequisites:
    a Linux LiveCD
    Mac OS X
    rEFIt or rEFInd
    These files: http://bit.ly/1g13CKy

1) Erase the entire USB and use the DD command to write the ISO to the disk. On a LiveCD its: dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k on mac it should be: dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=512k

2) Boot up any livecd that has GParted (that includes Kali)

3) Create a 20 MB FAT32 partiton and name it EFI

(Create another partition if you want persistence)

4) Download the files above and copy them onto the EFI partion so it has the structure: /EFI/BOOT/* (the * indicated where all the grub files should be)

5) Reboot (it might take 2-3 times for it to show up in rEFIt/rEFInd and select BOOTX64.EFI

You may need to edit which disk/partition you boot from by booting the grub menu in step 5, then pressing E to edit it from (hd0,1) to whatever it may be. (but it should be (hd0,1))

Okay so I am relatively new with computers so could you make the steps a little more expansive. Like a detailed walkthrough that any 5 year old could follow would be nice. I have a vague idea of the entire process, but it is the simple things like what is a Linux live CD and rEFIt/rEFInd that are confusing me. And finally i ONLY have a mac so will i even be able to follow this without a PC?

Quote Originally Posted by lmnope1 View Post
    3) Create a 20 MB FAT32 partiton and name it EFI
    There should already be an EFI System Partition before the OSX filesystem partition, why not install grub there?

Hy!
    Cant boot Kali from Macbook on ubuntu!
    You are booting from osx but i have ubuntu and dont know how to make refit boot from usb.

please help