Thread: cant install Kali

cant install Kali

When I open Win32 Disk Imager v0.9 binary i go to open my kali iso file but its looking for .img extensions. so i changed what the program is looking for so i can find .iso files. but when i click "write" it tells me it can currupt my flash drive. I click "ok" and let it write and it does indeed currupt my drive everytime. it wont see it in my boot options and when i click on the drive itself it says i need to format it... Im confused on what to do. the disk imager wont write right. Im on windows 8.1, btw.

try using this for usb install
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    or this for disc install use dvds for this one
    http://www.imgburn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lilhen View Post
    try using this for usb install
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    or this for disc install use dvds for this one
    http://www.imgburn.com/
    Please, do not suggest any other form of installing besides the ones included in Kali Docs:http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    When I open Win32 Disk Imager v0.9 binary i go to open my kali iso file but its looking for .img extensions. so i changed what the program is looking for so i can find .iso files. but when i click "write" it tells me it can currupt my flash drive. I click "ok" and let it write and it does indeed currupt my drive everytime. it wont see it in my boot options and when i click on the drive itself it says i need to format it... Im confused on what to do. the disk imager wont write right. Im on windows 8.1, btw.
    Try the dd command as stated in wiki.

Make sure the usb stick has the right format.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Try the dd command as stated in wiki.

Make sure the usb stick has the right format.
    When I use Unetbootin on other distros, I first format the USB stick to FAT32 and when I am done I can read the files on the disk in Windows and edit them if necessary.

Since I don't have a dedicated Linux box I have to run Linux from a LiveUSB install (for example, Mint). Then I can use the dd command. When I was done I could not read the disk in Windows anymore (windows asks me if I want to format the disk). However, I could see files on it when I plugged it into my LiveUSB box. However, it would not boot from my Windows box.

When I am done with the dd command should I be able to see the disk contents?

EDIT:

Additionally, I notice that when I look at the Unetbootin based USB sticks (generated in Windows) in Linux (using Mount) they have VFAT format ... the stick I created in Linux using dd (originally FAT32) is now showing as ISO9660 (which is what Linux shows (I believe) when it sees a CD-type device).

So I guess further my question is, is it possible to use dd in Linux that creates a Windows mountable LiveUSB? If so I must be doing something incorrectly.
    Last edited by Eunix; 2014-02-28 at 16:45. Reason: Extra INfo

Quote Originally Posted by Eunix View Post
    When I use Unetbootin on other distros, I first format the USB stick to FAT32 and when I am done I can read the files on the disk in Windows and edit them if necessary.

Since I don't have a dedicated Linux box I have to run Linux from a LiveUSB install (for example, Mint). Then I can use the dd command. When I was done I could not read the disk in Windows anymore (windows asks me if I want to format the disk). However, I could see files on it when I plugged it into my LiveUSB box. However, it would not boot from my Windows box.

When I am done with the dd command should I be able to see the disk contents?

EDIT:

Additionally, I notice that when I look at the Unetbootin based USB sticks (generated in Windows) in Linux (using Mount) they have VFAT format ... the stick I created in Linux using dd (originally FAT32) is now showing as ISO9660 (which is what Linux shows (I believe) when it sees a CD-type device).

So I guess further my question is, is it possible to use dd in Linux that creates a Windows mountable LiveUSB? If so I must be doing something incorrectly.
    Let me start with this:

USB format has to be vfat 32bits in order to use it.

Then, you can use live linux distro (including Kali), boot, and open a terminal, then use dd command as stated in kali docs.

dd command copy entire disks, partitions and files, as well as .iso, make backups, clone a partition, etc. It is quite powerfull.

The filesystem will always be created when formatting, other thing is low-level format (fdisk), which creates the partition and then you create the filesystem when formatting.

Ex. you format a USB stick in windows, it will create a FAT32 filesystem. When you format it in linux, you create the the filesystem accordingly to your needs: mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n "volume name" /dev/sdx (where sdx is the USB stick).

Hope it helps. Please read dd command (search google) and use. You will be amazed.

FYI:

I did just successfully use Win32 Disk Imager on a Windows XP Dell Precision M90 to load the Win32 Live Kali .

Like you, I had to manually choose .ISO.

When I was done it is not "readable" if I plug it into Windows.

It does however work from boot.

I believe whether or not you see it in your boot options is more likely a function of your computer/bios.