Thread: Grub>Windows does not show up.

Grub>Windows does not show up.

I was attempting to make Windows 8.1 my default boot and it disappeared from my boot list! Now Im stuck on Kali and I dont know how to use it!! LOL!

I remember I was just a wee lad. Skipping down the google brick road. When my eye caught something shiny! It was a Ubuntu forum about changing the boot order! I then remember yelling at the top of my lungs:
    vi /root/grub/grub.cfg
    and the CFG yelled back at me at which point I snatched the words
    **** DEFAULT="0"
    erased them from existance and wrote them again at the bottom of the CFG; right after the very last 'FI' statement. I continued on my merry way until I found dark woods all around me. And I could not find my way home again. Even though I found maps every 10 feet.

How the $@#% do I load Windows 8.1 back into grub!? I think the Windows boot record is on ****0 and Windows itself is on ****1.

Much sad! Many upset!

apt-get install startup-manager. it should be in Administrator of the system tools, run it and pick windows8 as the default startup.
    did you make a backup of the grub before edited? if you did put the copy back. if not just reinstall kali and it should grab windows8 during the grub installation.
    Last edited by thepoor; 2014-02-19 at 14:50.
    Where is the darn "any key" key?

Install os prober then run update-grub it'll show

apt-get install os-prober
    update-grub

Thank you for your replies! Ill have to remember OS Prober next time. But I ended up reinstalling the whole thing. And managed to find a better tutorial on how to change the boot order. Strangely simple for all the trouble I went through.