Thread: Problem with Metasploit relaying hosts to Armitage

Problem with Metasploit relaying hosts to Armitage

Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find anything online or in the Armitage manual.

When I start Armitage, the Metasploit ascii art doesn't show up. When I run an NMAP scan on the network, very few hosts show up in the graph view, and most of the time it's only the router. I can see a lot of live hosts in the nmap results, so I know Metasploit sees them, but they don't show up in the graph view. This is the same on multiple networks.

I didn't have this issue with BT5 or the first incarnation of Kali. I've recently upgraded to the latest version (1.0.6) from the Kali website via a new install.

Startup
    Code:
    service postgresql start
    service metasploit start
    armitage
    ArmitageConnection.png

Database.yml
    Code:
    development:
      adapter: "postgresql"
      database: "msf3"
      username: "msf3"
      password: "q9dsiNRABxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
      port: 5432
      host: "localhost"
      pool: 256
      timeout: 5

production:
      adapter: "postgresql"
      database: "msf3"
      username: "msf3"
      password: "q9dsiNRABxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
      port: 5432
      host: "localhost"
      pool: 256
      timeout: 5
    Metasploit status
    Code:
    # service metasploit status
    [ ok ] Metasploit rpc server is running.
    [ ok ] Metasploit web server is running.
    [ ok ] Metasploit worker is running.
    DB Status
    Code:
    # service postgresql status
    Running clusters: 9.1/main
    Version
    Code:
    # uname -a && cat /etc/*release
    Linux kali 3.12-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2kali1 (2014-01-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux 1.0"
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="1.0"
    VERSION_ID="1.0"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    HOME_URL="http://www.kali.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.kali.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kali.org/"
    Also, Armitage stops loading at this point. Is this normal?
    Code:
    # armitage[*] Starting msfrpcd for you.[*] MSGRPC starting on 127.0.0.1:55553 (NO SSL):Msg...[*] Used the tab method: 192.168.1.19[*] Remote Exploits Synced[*] Starting Cortana on 192.168.1.19[*] Creating a default reverse handler... 0.0.0.0:27624
    Please let me know if there is more info I should provide, and I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you,
    -M

Hi,

1. If Metasploit does NOT add the host to the database, Armitage doesn't see it. This is the rule. Not all "hosts" that come back via NMap are added to the database. If NMap discerns a host is there, but no services are open, and it can't figure out anything else--likely MSF skips it. This is not a bug in Armitage.

1a. If you want a better explanation for (1), consider providing a full dump of the nmap output, the workspaces command, and the hosts command along with a screenshot of what shows in Armitage's graph view.

2. The ASCII art doesn't show because of a bug related to how Rapid7 commingles Metasploit Pro's module cache and the open source framework's module cache in the same database on Kali Linux. For a long time, this would produce harmless, but scary syntax errors in the console tabs as the msfrpcd daemon would try to query modules in Metasploit Pro. As an open source developer, I *loved* user complaints about this part of the framework I could not possibly have any way to fix or make better. My solution was to take away the banner (which I was happy to always show). There's an option to re-enable it

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense. I was afraid I had not configured something correctly. Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    -M