Thread: Nvidia drivers - blinking cursor after installing

Nvidia drivers - blinking cursor after installing

Hi there,

I followed the official 'Install NVIDIA Drivers on Kali' tutorial listed here:

http://docs.kali.org/general-use/ins...-on-kali-linux

but when I reboot I only get a black screen with a white blinking cursor on the left hand side. Can anybody provide a way of getting the drivers to work? I've a ZaReason laptop with a Nvidia GeForce 650M.
    I wonder what has changed in Kali Linux 1.0.6 since I managed to install Nvidia drivers on older versions without problems. Also I noticed the procedures have changed in 'Install NVIDIA Drivers on Kali' tutorial.

Thanks in advance.

Did you blacklist nouveau?...And I mean not setting modeset=0 which is just disabling the kms in text mode or high resolution in text mode.

As far as I know, installing propietary driver (.run) will blacklist automatically the noveau, but I do not know when installing it from repos...

Just make sure it was blaclisted. If not, do it manually by entering recovery mode.
    Last edited by maverik35; 2014-02-25 at 06:06.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Did you blacklist nouveau?...And I mean not setting modeset=0 which is just disabling the kms in text mode or high resolution in text mode.

As far as I know, installing propietary driver (.run) will blacklist automatically the noveau, but I do not know when installing it from repos...

Just make sure it was blaclisted. If not, do it manually by entering recovery mode.
    Thanks maverik35 for your reply,

Well, as far as I know from Debian you blacklist nouveau editing blacklist.conf located at /etc/modprobe.d/ and adding a line like this:

blacklist nouveau

and that should do the trick, but in Kali Linux (although based on Debian) /etc/modprobe.d directory there is no such blacklist.conf file, but several files with .conf extension and don't know exactly which should contain the blacklist nouveau line.

Interesting to mention is that in modprobe.d directory there is also a link to file /etc/alternatives/glx--nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf containing the forementioned line.

Hi populusnigra,

you said you are running a laptop with nvidia 650m - I think you have an optimus technology (gpu switching system / Intel Card for Desktop and NVIDIA for the fun *g* ) - I am correct?

--> you need to install bumblebee
    https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee#Installation

If I am wrong did you read following topic? here is a how to blacklist nouveau
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Cuda-and-Pyrit

otherwise my way got it working:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post31613
    Last edited by tr00n3r; 2014-02-26 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by populusnigra View Post
    Thanks maverik35 for your reply,

Well, as far as I know from Debian you blacklist nouveau editing blacklist.conf located at /etc/modprobe.d/ and adding a line like this:

blacklist nouveau

and that should do the trick, but in Kali Linux (although based on Debian) /etc/modprobe.d directory there is no such blacklist.conf file, but several files with .conf extension and don't know exactly which should contain the blacklist nouveau line.

Interesting to mention is that in modprobe.d directory there is also a link to file /etc/alternatives/glx--nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf containing the forementioned line.
    I belive you are talking about an old Debian distro. Under /etc/modprobe.d you must create a file noveau-blacklist.conf or nouveau-"whatever you want to put".conf

From squeeze and above, they have the modprobe.d and under it, you must create any device you want to blacklist if not already in the directory.

Quote Originally Posted by tr00n3r View Post
    Hi populusnigra,

you said you are running a laptop with nvidia 650m - I think you have an optimus technology (gpu switching system / Intel Card for Desktop and NVIDIA for the fun *g* ) - I am correct?

--> you need to install bumblebee
    https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee#Installation

If I am wrong did you read following topic? here is a how to blacklist nouveau
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Cuda-and-Pyrit

otherwise my way got it working:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post31613
    Thanks maverik35 and tr00n3r for your reply,

Yeah, tr00n3r is right my laptop Nvidia card is using Optimus technology so in this case Bumblebee is needed. Well, I followed Debian Bumblebee installation (https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee#Installation) without problems, but I still get a 1024 x 768 resolution when gdm3 service is loaded. Debian Bumblebee installation recommends not to create a xorg.conf file

Any hint of how to get the maximum resolution given by my Nvidia card?

Hi,

sorry for late response:
    when you have the optimus technology Intel Graphics will be the card for your gdm3 session as default.

please provide the output:
    Code:
    lspci | grep "VGA com" 
    lsmod | grep -i i915
    lsmod | grep -i nvidia
    Last edited by tr00n3r; 2014-03-16 at 12:15.

same problem here

Hi all,

I think I have tried every tutorial in the net and nothing... I still get a blinking cursor after boot

Quote Originally Posted by tr00n3r View Post
    Hi,

sorry for late response:
    when you have the optimus technology Intel Graphics will be the card for your gdm3 session as default.

please provide the output:
    Code:
    lspci | grep "VGA com" 
    lsmod | grep -i i915
    lsmod | grep -i nvidia
    This is what I get from those:

lspci |grep "VGA com"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0de3 (rev a1)

lspci |grep -i 915

lspci |grep -i nvidia

and I have got the following when trying to get the cores from pyrit

pyrit list_cores
    ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia_uvm': Invalid argument

This is the output of uname -a

Linux venus 3.14-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.14.5-1kali1 (2014-06-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help

Quote Originally Posted by Uname View Post
    Hi all,

I think I have tried every tutorial in the net and nothing... I still get a blinking cursor after boot

lspci |grep "VGA com"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

lspci |grep -i 915

lspci |grep -i nvidia

pyrit list_cores

Linux venus 3.14-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.14.5-1kali1 (2014-06-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hi there,

Have you installed bumblebee?

If not, easy fix.

add this to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

And then install bumblebee

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs:i386

Ignore any errors and just remove them as needed

Now, install the nvidia driver. I found that it did not install as part of bumblebee-nvidia like it should.

run:

apt-get install nvidia-driver

That will install from backports.

Install VirtualGL but downloading the .deb from their website and running:

dkpg -i virtual*.deb from the download folder

You may need to edit /etc/bumbleee/bumblebee.conf and the nvidia xorg file in the same directory. If you make it this far and get errors, post here for some help. I finally figured this out today and have nvidia 334 with cuda 5.5 working on a bumblebee install. Only took me about a month lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Uname View Post
    Hi all,

lspci |grep "VGA com"

lspci |grep -i 915

lspci |grep -i nvidia

pyrit list_cores

If everything else is installed, try this. If it happens you have nvidia 334 installed, it has issues building the nvidia-uvm module

we can build it ourselves.

Before we get started, install cuda

apt-get install libcuda1

go to:

/usr/src/nvidia-current-331.67 (replace the version string with what you have)

run:

make

copy the file Modules.symvers to the uvm/ folder in the same directory

cd into uvm and run make

copy the resulting nvidia-uvm.ko file into:

/lib/modules/3.14-kali1-amd64/updates/dkms

run:

depmod -a

and then run:

modprobe nvidia-uvm

and then give optirun glxspheres64 a go