Followed Kali Docs here

System: Dell Precision M90 - Windows XP (32 bit)
Stick: Toshiba Transmemory 16gb

Formatted Stick as FAT32

Downloaded Win32 Disk Imager

Downloaded Kali LiveUSB (via torrent) from here.

Ran Win32 Disk Imager.

This part is a bit confusing. The Imager doesn't default to looking for an ISO image, rather it wants to look for a .IMG file. Further, the Wiki for the product says "This is a Windows program for saving and restoring images from removable drives (USB drives, SD Memory cards, etc). It can be used to write boot images (i.e. ubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+omap4.img) to a SD Flash device or USB flash device, making it bootable. It currently does not* support writing an ISO image to usb." So the fact that it says it doesn't support writing an ISO file seems unnerving. However, it does have that little asterisk which points to: "* Writing standard ISO images is not supported, however hybrid images created with Syslinux's isohybrid does work." So I proceeded on the hope that this is a Syslinux isohybrid.

It successfully wrote the ISO to the Flash drive (approximately 10 minutes maybe to write about 3 gigs).

At this point I restarted, hit F12 for boot options, and chose Boot from USB and the Boot menu came up, offering me 6 options:

1. Live (686-pae)
2. Live (686-pae failsafe)
3. Live (Forensic mode)
4. Install
5. Graphical Install
6. Install with speech synthesis

Chose #3 and it successfully ran Kali off the stick

----

Issues

1. Unlike using a Disk Imager like Unetbootin, this created a USB stick that is not readable in Windows, and I got the prompt "Do you want to format this disk?" when I plugged it into a running Windows machine
2. So then I tried to look at it in a running version of Windows (Mint) and I couldn't mount it to look at it. I'm possibly doing something wrong. I would like to look at the disk structure and files (so I could potentially modify them if needed) and am not sure how to do that
3. When I loaded up Kali and right-clicked "file system" and chose "properties" it searched my usb drive and found 740,024 items totalling 15.4 gb. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is correct or incorrect but that seems a little strange.
4. Not sure if I am supposed to get any different options on the boot menu (i.e. text only, memtest, "Advanced Options", etc.)

----

Thanks,

-e