Thread: Installer fails; apparently due to network hardware?

Installer fails; apparently due to network hardware?

Hardware: Inspiron N5050

From Ubuntu 13.10, "lspci" relevant output:
    Code:
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
    09:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    I can successfully boot and connect to WiFi if I use either of the "Live" options. After booting to Live, I emailed the output of "dmesg" to myself; it's linked here:
    http://pastebin.com/Br5H3wB4

Booting the text-based installer seems to kernel panic:
    http://i.imgur.com/2b0Nfqy.jpg

Booting the graphical installer doesn't actually crash, but hangs with this on one of the TTYs (accessed by pressing "Control + Alt + F[x]" keys).
    http://i.imgur.com/a3s3aGP.jpg

There are a couple other threads that seem to be relevant/the same issue; neither one seems to have a fix, though:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ux-4175489211/

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...twork-Hardware

Any ideas would be appreciated. As a work-around, I'm going to try and install it "live" but with persistence, to my SSD. I'll report back either way, when I'm done with that.

Quote Originally Posted by computer_freak_8 View Post
    As a work-around, I'm going to try and install it "live" but with persistence, to my SSD. I'll report back either way, when I'm done with that.
    Work-around did *not* work.

However, I did get the system working. Using a trick from the person in this thread, I managed to get a working install. Full steps to get a working installation on an Inspiron N5050 seems to be relatively complicated. Given no wired network connection, this seems to be the most straightforward process (though likely would be simpler if one were to plug in via Ethernet). I used the 64-bit version for my purposes. The steps to reproduce a successful installation are as follows:

1. Download Kali Linux and burn to DVD - wouldn't load properly using a UFD.
    2. Remove network card from computer - wouldn't install properly with card installed.
    3. Boot the system, just to make sure everything worked okay.
    4. Re-install the wireless card.
    5. Boot again; make sure wireless is working now.
    6. Update "/etc/apt/sources.list" to match that found here (or if you prefer more, here).
    7. Run "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" to make sure everything is fully updated.
    8. If you plan on using any 32-bit programs (such as vanilla 64-bit Firefox...), install the "ia32-libs-gtk" package, which should also install the "ia32-libs" package.
    9. Enjoy.

One question: Why not using eth0 iface instead. It has an ethernet interface.

As for the error, yes, indeed, it needs the frimware to be able to use wifi...

You have 2 options:

1. Use ethernet interface (highly recommended)
    2. Download firmware, save it into a usb, and when it prompts you (during the installation) to load the firmware, connect it and use it to be able to install the firmware and use your wifi.

If I'm not mistaken, the file must be firmware-brcm80211. Here is my consultation from my debian wheezy:
    aldinifetuccini@debian:~$ aptitude show firmware-brcm80211
    Package: firmware-brcm80211
    State: installed
    Auto installed: no
    Multi-Arch: foreign
    Version: 0.36+wheezy.1
    Priority: optional
    Section: non-free/kernel
    Debian Kernel Team <[email protected]>
    Arquitectura: all
    Size: 161 k
    Suggest: initramfs-tools, linux-image
    Description: Binary firmware for Broadcom 802.11 wireless cards
    This package contains the binary firmware for wireless network cards with the Broadcom BCM4313, BCM43224 or BCM43225 chip, supported by the brcm80211 driver.

Contents:
    * Broadcom 802.11 firmware, version 610.811 (brcm/bcm43xx-0.fw)
    * Broadcom 802.11 firmware header, version 610.811 (brcm/bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw)
    Main page: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...x-firmware.git

I highlighted your card according to what you posted.

There are another 4 broadcom firmwares but again, this one is for your chipset.

Use kali live, and download the firmware: aptitude download "the firmware" then write it into the usb. Make sure the repos are pointing to kali repos and not dvd.

Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    One question: Why not using eth0 iface instead. It has an ethernet interface.

As for the error, yes, indeed, it needs the frimware to be able to use wifi...

You have 2 options:

1. Use ethernet interface (highly recommended)
    2. Download firmware, save it into a usb, and when it prompts you (during the installation) to load the firmware, connect it and use it to be able to install the firmware and use your wifi.
    ...or option 3, as detailed in my last post. As I'm new (and thus moderated), I was waiting for the post to show up before marking it as "solved".

Not sure where the "mark as solved" button is at, or if we just don't use that around here. Either way, this problem has been solved, and the solution is provided within the thread.

If a moderator sees this: can you clarify proper procedure for when a thread is solved?