Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Repair Kali Linux Grub With Kali Linux Live Cd: Dual Boot With Windows 7

Wink How To Repair Kali Linux Grub With Kali Linux Live Cd: Dual Boot With Windows 7

Hello. I am sure there are plenty of newbies around when it comes to linux, myself included. This is a guide of how to repair grub in the event your windows 7 removed the grub during the installation.
    First thing that you'll need to do is to boot from a kali linux live cd. After that, go to gparted so that you can get to see where kali was installed: usually it's in the file system that ends with ext4, depending with the file system you used during the installation. In my case, the kali linux system was in sda3, but it varies with different systems.
    From there, you'll have to use the terminal for the following commands:

Code:
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev/pts
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt
    This will restore the old kali linux boot loader, however, you will have to boot into kali once the live cd is out, so as to add windows into the boot loader. Once booted, go to the terminal and do the following:

Code:
    os-prober
    update-grub
    ... and thats it. hope this helps. I think this will also work with windows xp,vista, and 8, but i haven't yet tested on those systems, so i can't confirm.

Hey, just registered here to THANK YOU! you saved me alot of time <3

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kian1991 View Post
    Hey, just registered here to THANK YOU! you saved me alot of time <3
    no problem

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kaboyish View Post
    no problem
    sigh up here to say thankss u saved my life

you are welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by junaidkhan73 View Post
    sigh up here to say thankss u saved my life

Tried this but there was no GRUB after the restart. Checked gparted again and saw that 'boot' is on /dev/sda2. Should I grub-install there, instead?

Update:
    Boot-repair fixed the problem for me.
    Last edited by hdcase; 2014-10-29 at 02:56 AM.

Sorry for the delay. I was a bit held up. Glad boot-repair helped

Quote Originally Posted by hdcase View Post
    Tried this but there was no GRUB after the restart. Checked gparted again and saw that 'boot' is on /dev/sda2. Should I grub-install there, instead?

Update:
    Boot-repair fixed the problem for me.

Repair Kali Boot after installing a new OS (ex: Windows)

hello guys thanks for instructing through the boot-process repair, I wasn't unable to repair my boot for a long-time, and because I have a kali using my USB for boot, it doesn't come with grub, so to fix the boot process it should be like:
    apt-get install grub
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub

and now reboot, that's it,
    Thanks again.
    P.S is there a way without using (apt-get install grub)?

Quote Originally Posted by kaboyish View Post
    Hello. I am sure there are plenty of newbies around when it comes to linux, myself included. This is a guide of how to repair grub in the event your windows 7 removed the grub during the installation.
    First thing that you'll need to do is to boot from a kali linux live cd. After that, go to gparted so that you can get to see where kali was installed: usually it's in the file system that ends with ext4, depending with the file system you used during the installation. In my case, the kali linux system was in sda3, but it varies with different systems.
    From there, you'll have to use the terminal for the following commands:

Code:
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev/pts
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt
    This will restore the old kali linux boot loader, however, you will have to boot into kali once the live cd is out, so as to add windows into the boot loader. Once booted, go to the terminal and do the following:

Code:
    os-prober
    update-grub
    ... and thats it. hope this helps. I think this will also work with windows xp,vista, and 8, but i haven't yet tested on those systems, so i can't confirm.
    hello , you should use http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/ ...

Good info so far. I dealt with this a while back --> not fun.

I'm about to try to install Kali via usb. I have Windows 7 and Ubundu on 2 separate partitions. Then, I have a 3rd partition for recovery. Windows wants to make me create a Logical Partition since I'm capped at 3. I would MUCH rather install Kali over top of Ubuntu and just have Windows and Kali. Needless to say, I dont want to run into losing my grub again. If I install Kali over Ubuntu - will it install grub in the same place and keep everything tidy? I would assume it would never be that easy..

You guys sound like you know what youre talking about when it comes to this... Just curious if you can tell me anything to keep an eye out for.