Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Repair Kali Linux Grub With Kali Linux Live Cd: Dual Boot With Windows 7

/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
    ???????????????????????????

After grub-install I get command not found and after apt-get install grub I get
    E: unable to lokate package grub.

How to fix that ?

Thank you for this kaboyish. After cloning the harddisk with 'mini partition wizard' to a larger hard drive, I had no grub menu. And your procedure worked just fine. In fact after "grub-install /dev/sda and update-grub" I didn't do anything else. These commands detected "Windows 8 (loader)" and added it automatically to the boot menu.

Thank you so so soooo much i had this problem for so long and spent way to long trying to fix it, so i made an account just to thank you!

Thanks for the info! This worked w/o the need to add Windows in the boot loader, it automatically put Win 10 into the Kali boot choice:

Code:
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev/pts
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt

My only problem is I have to boot twice on my Presario laptop. I get the "BootDevice Not Found" ... "Hard Disk - (3F0)" ... , then a Ctrl+Alt+Del will start a normal boot to Kali boot menu. I cannot update BIOS and legacy mode is not CMOS available. <<< Any help here, thanks.
    I'll post any update from my end if I can resolve this issue.

I had the same problem. I'm using a laptop with a built-in HDD and added an mSATA SSD. On the SSD there was a Windows 10 with GPT installation. I had 3 primary partitions created by windows installer, and shrank the free space to leave some for the kali installation. At first grub was unable to install, and after reboot only win10 started. I deleted the kali partitions with diskmgmt.msc, changed the SSD from GPT to MBR format with AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro, rebooted into BIOS, set boot option to Legacy only, and then repeated the kali installation. At the end of the install it asked if it may install grub into the MBR, and let me choose the drive to which I intend to install it. I chose my SSD, and voila, it works!

You can do all that or just burn a cd with this image :
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

witch will fix the grub error .

I recently installed a new SSD in my computer and started with a fresh install of Kali Linux. I then partitioned the drive with GParted in order to add Windows 10. After doing so, my computer would only boot to Windows 10 when I booted from the SSD.

I found this solution tonight and tried it using the Live boot version of Kali Linux on a USB. Now on a default boot, my computer goes to the Grub menu so that I can choose Windows 10 or Kali. I registered tonight in order to update that it works for Windows 10. Thank you for the tutorial.

What is the purpose of the first command sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt? Is it where grub will be installed? Why do we need to mount kali-linux partition to repair grub?

In UEFI, you have to mount EFI partition also as sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi. /dev/sda1 is your EFI partition where grub will be installed.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-06-04 at 10:37 AM.