Thread: Kali Linux in VirtualBox trying to run Alfa AWUS036H Wireless USB Adapter

Kali Linux in VirtualBox trying to run Alfa AWUS036H Wireless USB Adapter

Hello all. I tried posting something a couple/few days ago, but I don't think it went through. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. All I want to do is get my Alfa AWUS036H card working with Kali Linux in this VirtualBox. I installed everything to run the system, install Guest Additions, installed headers, but when I plug my card in ifconfig doesn't recognize it, nor does lsusb. I've tried adding a New Filter, leaving it alone, and also tried adding the actual Realtek filter and taking everything out except the name as well as leaving it alone. It seems though where my real problem is, is that I just cannot get it to recognize the card, or more importantly mounting it. Getting down to the nitty-gritty though so to speak this is the error code I am receiving. "Failed to attach the USB device Manufacturer_Realtek_RTL8187_RTL8187_Wireless[0100] to the virtual machine Kali Linux. USB device 'Manufacturer_Realtek_RTL8187_RTL8187_Wireless' with UUID {dcdae740-89ec-4241-bd19-875eb1cb9ca1} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later. When I click details I get this: Result Code:E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057) Component:HostUSBDevice Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a} Callee: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6} I was told that this could be related to the host not letting go of the device therefore the guest can't capture it but even the state of the device says captured, just don't know if it's saying the guest has it, or the host. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get, and greatly appreciate the time spent by anyone to read this and reply to me. Also I have seen this problem many places and have tried many things which nothing has worked to solve. My friend who is great with computers has also confirmed the same thing. Any suggestions or additional info would be again greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, I myself, along with a friend have had this same issue. I was able to fix it. My buddy however, was not. Here are some of the things I did to fix my problem. I can not say for sure that this will help for you, but its worth a shot. I am assuming your using a windows computer as your normal operating system. Also I will assume you are using VM Ware as your VM. If this is wrong, this may/may not help. Check if the card works on your windows operating system. If it doesn't install the drivers for windows and see if it works. If it doesn't check if you got a real card or not. If you have a real card and it is working in windows then make sure you have VM Ware tools installed on Kali Linux. If you do, ensure that you aren't using any bridged connection. If you are it may be stopping your Alfa Card from getting online. That's the best I can do. Hope it gives you some ideas.