Thread: Best Newest Laptop to Run Kali

Question Best Newest Laptop to Run Kali

Need to buy a new laptop that will run Kali without any problems. I recently returned my Lenovo Z710 because it seems that it can not run Kali or any Debian that I tried because of hardware compatibility. So what are some laptops that you guys recommend? Price is no option.

Its not a new laptop but I run Kali on a IBM T60. I brought it off ebay for £40 and it runs Kali beautifully.

I put Kali on a 14" Razor Blade. You have to change the boot options in the BIOS to run legacy instead of UEFI, but after that, Kali installs and runs like a champ.

Thanks. Good to know. Was hoping to get more laptops that people use besides just one but still good information.

Recommend the Dell Alienware M18x

Not exactly new anymore, but worked fine on 14inch Samsung Notebook (530U4B-S01AU)..

Maybe we should compile a list... This will be helpful for everyone.
    Last edited by blackMORE; 2014-04-03 at 06:58. Reason: comment

I am hoping that more people will add some. This will help a lot of people out for sure.

I can do you one better, a laptop (with touchscreen that works flawlessly so far in kali) that works awesome and even it's damned uefi bios could be surmounted and I dual-boot it with win 8.1 pro enterprise; Acer Aspire v5-555p <I think that's the full sillyness of its designator> (so as to avoid double checking, it's the acer with the AMD A10-5757M APU w/ 1tb hdd, dual-channel (no joke, the stock atheros chipset picks up 5GHz on 802.11n like a champ) but I don't believe it can hook both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands simultaneously like bonding with the stock atheros chipset, just 2.4GHz or 5GHz. I was highly dubious about an AMD cpu but it's just a simple quad-core so no 12-million core cpu nonsense... This is it's second trip to Kali land while figuring out how to get the dual-boot correct, but the A10 cpu (the guy at fry's said it's the mobile version of the same exact cpu and gpu in the ps4 and xbox1!!! I'm sure it could well be a mobile derivation but lets not pretend a 750 dollar laptop is going to hang with the next-gen systems and mobile cpu versions aren't always just simple throw the silicon in a laptop and cool it better and use less power but stay the same'ish performance wise and I've never been bothered to look at any benchmarks. It handles everything I throw at it, I'm sure it's 8gb of ram cries at the # of tabs I run in chrome in win 8.1 but it does a valiant effort (not even an i7 cracked out can take... i tihnk it was 25+ tabs open a little while ago (didn't even realize!)... It's no alienware but the touch screen is very crisp and extremely accurate in windows and in kali even without updates or anything. The touchpad will drive you crazy like all the dopey gesture/touchpads do so I recommend either the new logitech trackball or any mouse for that matter. It runs toasty but not unduly so I have a laptop cooler more for insurance/keyboard angle (has a backlit keyboard that is one of the few full keyed (numpad'd) laptop keyboards that has a nice feel to the keys and is easy to type with, especially as the backlighting is like a bmw's halo lights vs an audi's led halo's that are more piercing than illuminating. I prefer the laptop's keyboard backlight to the extremely extremely bright backlight on my gaming keyboard that's a bit too white for 3am. Aesthetically, the laptop is excellent, and the hinges on the touch screen are tough enough to take the screen being poked at. And just like the razer, all you need is to change the bios mode to legacy and you're free from uefi... Kudos Acer, surprisingly potent hardware for the price (it can run two external displays (mini-displayport and hdmi), 1xusb 3.0, gigabit ethernet, two usb 2.0's on the rear sides, and an almost invisible sd reader and god awful headphone/microphone jacks (my only real gripe is that the hdd is 5400rpm and that it's sound is wretched (but fixed to creative labs soundblaster standards with a 20 dollar usb soundcard by seger... nothing audiophilic but it sounds good and didn't break the bank. Definitely want usb hubs, I finally have need for a 3.0hub and I've got a belkin 7-port powered usb 2.0 hub. I'm a crazy bachelor so I like ethernet cables everywhere so it's hardwired but the asus ac-1200 usb wifi card works great and has an external antennae connection, don't know about it's other capabilities but I was astounded that I was pulling 1200mbps just as advertised without relocating anything, it just worked! I had a bios password issue that acer wanted it mailed in and a bunch of $$$ for (unlike other acer aspire v5's, even after taking the casing off the underside to get at the cmos battery there is no set of contacts you can short (that I could id at least) to reset the bios, thankfully it had just decided to use the default phoenix bios pw (phoenix) as I was totally locked out without that pw...

Speaking of being locked out and total disappointments and lackluster in everyway possible? Well, it's my Asus laptop... Granted you get what you pay for to a degree and it was on sale for 400 bucks. corei3, 4gb ram, 320gb hdd, 15" hd screen (although it's honestly a dead-tie which laptop lasts longer on battery, both run for over 4 hours if not unduly harrassed)... but man, maybe it was the first taste of windows 8 or maybe the first encounter with uefi bios protection (as I hadn't cared when buying it that it was windows 8 as I planned to throw 7dark on it right away and after a year of squabbling with it, I've even gotten into the kali installer and destroyed the partitions (it came with a weird windows multi-partitioned single hdd?) and put in new ones and everything and it always just boots right back to damned 8 (8.1 at least now). I would highly recommend against any asus laptops under 500 dollars.

I wanta try a udroid-x or a cubietruck but I have a esxi server I just picked up for my lab yesterday to keep me more than busy for the time being ^_^

Sorry for the short story, it's a genetic writer's thing (and I tried to touch on the most relevant points) but in summation, acer aspire v5 555p (a10 5757M quadcore, 8gb ram, touch screen kali compatible, 1tb hdd, atheros wifi stack (that picks up both bands, AND I even had bluetooth working when I had kali installed last time))

Avoid - sub 500 dollar laptops by asus

I'm running Kali on Lenovo X200 7459 LS4, cheap, long battery life and lightweight.