Thread: sgfxi

sgfxi

is anyone currently using this?
    https://code.google.com/p/sgfxi/
    What is sgfxi?
    sgfxi is a self-updating nvidia, ati/amd fglrx, and xorg free driver installer and xorg configuration script written for originally for Debian, but since expanded to also include support for Ubuntu and Arch Linux systems.

Easy to use, updated usually the same day as new nVidia drivers are released. fglrx support is much less reliable because ATI/AMD does not actively support cutting edge software, but it should be good for most fixed pool distributions based on Debian/Ubuntu, and the Debian Stable/Testing/Sid branch, as well as Arches rolling release model.

This project includes the patches used to keep up with latest kernels, and sgfxi includes an automated patch installer as well.

I'm especially interested in getting a little more help on this project, because tracking non free drivers in real time is a fairly tedious, and thankless, project.

code: http://sgfxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/sgfxi
    Last edited by brazen; 2014-03-19 at 23:34. Reason: code added

I have used it 2 days ago to install my NVIDIA drivers (331.20) - cause I don't want to install the old drivers in Kali repo and I was not able to compile nvidia.ko :P
    Kali 1.0.6 fresh installation - works like a charm.
    Every package which is needed to install the propritary driver will be downloaded
    Installation took appr 5 min - reboot - everything was working properly

Cool... Think ill keep this around

汉语 / 漢語 英汉《圣经》解读 ??????????????????????????

How do you get and install sgfxi?
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

Thx tr00n3r!

while trying to evaluate if this will be useful for me or not, I came across this in the FAQ section...

Do I have to type in all these horribly obscure commands?

Of course not. This is Linux, and hackers are lazy. The easiest way to enter any command you see is to simply highlight it with your mouse, then, without clicking anything, move your mouse over to your terminal window (aka console), and click once (left mouse button) to activate the window, then click down on the mousewheel, assuming you have that feature in your mouse. This will paste the entire thing you highlighted into the terminal, and, if it's a single line, all you have to do then is hit enter, and it will run the command.

The first thing you should learn about Linux like systems is that hackers and programmers are a lazy bunch of people, so there is usually some easy way to do things you have to do all the time.

You can also do this out of X, in the actual console, if you have gpm installed, which allows the mouse to work in console, out of X. This is a very useful feature, because you can actually copy something, say an error message, in one terminal, then change to another one (ctrl+alt+F2, for example), login, start nano or some other text editor, then simply click your center mouse button, and the entire thing you copied will appear, all without X running at all.
    http://smxi.org/site/faqs.htm

xD ^
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge