Thread: Kali Linux with HighDPI devices

Kali Linux on HiDPI devices

I run Kali Linux within a Virtual machine on a XPS 15 9530 with a resolution 3200 x 1800 which is HiDPI. Currently Gnome 3.4.2 (version installed in Kali) doesn't handle such DPI levels very well. By default the virtual machine is tiny as my native DPI is 192, compared to 96, which is the DPI Gnome is hard coded with. In order to fix the problem partially, I changed the text scaling setting in dconf-editor:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor 2.0
    With Iceweasel I was also able to improve the UI via the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" preference name and set the value to 2.0

These changes do help somewhat but its not actually changing the system wide DPI, so its a bit of a hack, icons and images remain small in some cases.

Gnome 3.12 is said to improve the situation somewhat with HiDPI devices:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTYzMDE

As Kali is based on Debian, I'm assuming that nothing can happen until its supported in the stable branch via upstream? If so does Kali Linux support being able to run a gnome-shell version greater than 3.4.2, or is there specific reason as to why it runs this version? The reason I'm asking is when it does eventually come to Debian in the stable branch, I'd obviously like to update it, but I'm not interested in breaking my install with dodgy package sources in sources.list that aren't the default. Can someone confirm if updating Gnome in Kali is OK from the default stable Kali sources.list

Thanks.
    Last edited by Anomaly; 2014-03-23 at 07:53.

Name Taken Guest
    An inherent problem of all HD+ displays, I would take a 1600x900 laptop display over QHD any day for 100% scaling in Windows and Linux.