Thread: USB Adapter MAC address keeps resetting to default

USB Adapter MAC address keeps resetting to default

I'm using Kali through VM Virtualbox, and I have a AWUS036H USB Adapter that I use for connection. Its MAC address can be spoofed just fine but it seems every time I disconnect from a wireless network, or just randomly while I'm connected, if I type ifconfig in the terminal my wlan0 adapter's MAC address has returned to its permanent hardware default. I do not know what is going on and this has happened multiple times in a row.

Also in the bottom-right toolbar for Virtualbox the circle over the USB icon keeps changing between green and red, and the light on my adapter when in use is usually flashing green. Are these normal?

We just installed the latest virtual box(VB) and kali-linux to one of our computers. And as we are using the same adapter we will test mac spoofing as soon as the computer is free. However we stopped using VB previously because we could not get the mac spoofing to work and the usb connect was so troublesome. We suggest you run a persistent usb install of kali instead of VB.