Thread: Kali not booting from USB

Kali not booting from USB

Hi guys, I have a problem. First off, let me tell you about my computer. I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 and want to either install kali to replace ubuntu or just dual boot it.

Okay, here is my issue. I use the dd command to make a live usb and all is well in that part. But when i reboot my computer and boot directly from my (brand new) USB the screen goes black, shows a blinking line/underscore, and then boots into ubuntu. (I know for sure I am selecting the usb from the list and not accidentally selecting my main hard drive)

I have tried formating the usb and re-doing the dd command but same results occur everytime.

Is this a problem with my usb or the kali installation files?

hey dude use power iso software for windows and create bootable usb drive......

Need to be more specific as to how far the load of kali goes. It could be a video issue, how about video card model too and how you burned the ISO to usb (follow the wiki). Also make sure the SHA1 is correct on your download.

I have had this issue before with a few causes.

The first was as maverik mentioned, I had bad video drivers. I booted into run level 1 with networking and installed the video drivers. Second, I was in UEFI mode and had a non-UEFI thumb drive - this gave me the blinking cursor too.

Third, I had bad install files. make sure you check the md5 of the Kali iso before you make a thumb drive out of it.

Maybe try making the thumb drive with unetbootin from within your Ubuntu install.

Mybe your usb drive have less size than 4GB if no , use Universel usb installer http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    r00tv.org
    moosy.org
    telegram @bondbenz

I also made a USB flash drive that won't boot, the error message being: "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" followed by "Boot:" Used a Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit system to download "Kali Linux 1.0.6 32 Bit ISO" (since was going to use it on a 32 bit laptop, old Thinkpad T43). From that download, I (a) burned a bootable DVD, and (b) used dd to copy to an 8GB USB drive, following instructions given on Kali web site and encountering no problems. On the T43, the USB won't boot at all but the DVD boots fine. Any ideas? I think I will re-download the ISO, which I deleted after apparently succeeding in making the USB and the DVD, and try again to make the USB. The USB drive had been in use as just data storage for months, no problems, so I think it is OK.

Simple additional question re the DVD. I booted the T43 on it just fine, got to a Gnome looking screen already logged in as root (as expected) and promptly went to Applications. Found lots of hacking/cracking tools, but I was looking for two things I didn't find: something called walsh to show routers with the WPS problem, and something called Reaver to test my own routers (Cisco ValetPlus M20 at home and Netgear WNDR3700 at my office) to see if they still had the WPS vulnerability. Netgear support won't say, just beats around the bush and evades answering, which I suppose means, "Yes, still has the WPS vulnerability." Does the Kali Linux distribution have walsh and Reaver somewhere? I didn't see them. Or maybe similar tools exist on Kali but with other names?

Those two tools are the only reason I downloaded Kali Linux at all, just to test my two routers. Will have to read up on some of the others!

Thanks.

Disregard my question about Reaver on Kali Linux -- it is available at http://code.google.com/p/reaver-wps. Thanks.

Hello, I am having the same issue.. My USB is 4GB stick.. I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.. Its a very old Dell Latitude that I am using.. 1.5 GB Ram.. I am a noob trying to learn. I get to the boot screen and it just loops through a black screen and the messages are two fast to read. It looks like i could make out some type of Kernal error and it just keeps looping.. I noticed that my iso is 3GB but the instruction said that i would on need 2 GB of free space. Any links to fixes or instruction would be appreciated.. Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
    Disregard my question about Reaver on Kali Linux -- it is available at http://code.google.com/p/reaver-wps. Thanks.
    Hi bluejay,

Walsh was renamed wash "recently"