Thread: using macchanger code reuslts in not being able to connect to server

using macchanger code reuslts in not being able to connect to server

Hi, I'm using Kali and regularly update/upgrade. It works a treat..UNTIL I use Macchanger code.

By this I mean, the code works fine and the MAC is changed..the problem is that when I use it Kali cannot connect to Iceweasel server...

I thought maybe it was some conflict with my VPN which is configured in Kali, and runs fine, but the issue happens running or not my VPN.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue is?

Thanks

tacos2go

Do you have internet connection after MAC changed? if not, you need to disconnect and reconnect (wired or wifi). Try to see if you able to go to google or yahoo.
    If you have internet connection, check your VPN setting you might set it only allow your real MAC address only.
    Where is the darn "any key" key?

The question here might be how you are changing your mac address. If you are doing it from the terminal window via command line try instead changing it via the net-work manager instead.

1. Right click on the network manager icon(two computers) upper right on screen
    2. Select Edit Connections
    3. Selet Wired or Wireless
    4. If wireless select connection
    5. Select Edit
    6. Fill in the mac address you want to spoof in the Cloned Mac Addess box
    7. Save

The question here might be how you are changing your mac address. If you are doing it from the terminal window via command line try instead changing it via the network-manager instead.

1. Right click on the network manager icon(two computers) upper right on screen
    2. Select Edit Connections
    3. Selet Wired or Wireless
    4. If wireless select connection
    5. Select Edit
    6. Fill in the mac address you want to spoof in the Cloned Mac Addess box
    7. Save

ThePoor, yep I cannot connect to server when using macchanger code in the terminal, with & without my VPN active....

mmusket33, I'm using macchanger --mac=00:11:22:33:44:55 eth0 in the terminal, it works but then there's no connection to server (previously with BT5) used this code and there was no issue at all, maybe its a Kali thing?

Anyway I shall sure try your suggestion and see if that works..

Thanks folks

If you are connecting thru a wireless you might consider monitoring the actual mac code thru airodump-ng. Or change your mac thru the terminal window then run ifconfig to confirm the spoof, then start network-manager then run ifconfig again and see if the spoofed mac address remains in residence. We found in the past that network-manager disrupts the spoofed mac address that is setup thru the terminal window or thru a script. For example we have a program that assigns a specific address dependent on the bssid we are going to associate to. We had to stop using it as network-manager overrode the script.