Thread: Overheating on squashfs

Overheating on squashfs

In all the attempts to create a custom Live Build, i am faced with the same situation repeatedly.
    My computer heats up (everytime) when it start building squashfs and i wonder if anyone else faced with this before.
    Google also did not indicate that this is a common occurrence or perhaps i was asking the wrong question.
    However, my hope is that someone here can tell me what did i missed or any known issues that i am unaware of.
    Thank you and please let me know what (and where) log files that could be relevant here.
    ** working on the the screenshot of the last known process before the system shuts down from temperature warning

squashfs is very CPU intensive (it is compressing your files). If your heatsink fins are clogged up, your system will overheat and it will shut down to protect itself.

Shine a light in the fan hole of your computer and look for visible light at the exhaust ports. If you can't see light, you aren't dissipating your heat - thus you are overheating.

When this happens to me, I use a shop vacuum and compressed air to clear the fins. Put the vacuum over the fan hole(s) and blow compressed air into the exhaust ports. Be thorough. Done properly, you should dislodge a considerable amount of dust, cat hair, dog hair, etc.

paste

There is also thermal paste that goes on between the heat sink and cpu

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    squashfs is very CPU intensive (it is compressing your files). If your heatsink fins are clogged up, your system will overheat and it will shut down to protect itself.

Shine a light in the fan hole of your computer and look for visible light at the exhaust ports. If you can't see light, you aren't dissipating your heat - thus you are overheating.

When this happens to me, I use a shop vacuum and compressed air to clear the fins. Put the vacuum over the fan hole(s) and blow compressed air into the exhaust ports. Be thorough. Done properly, you should dislodge a considerable amount of dust, cat hair, dog hair, etc.

I've checked my paste, added a little bit, and I even took the machine outside and used a leaf blower on it, to no avail.
    When it is building, squashfs crumps my system.
    Ideas?

If the computer is a laptop place the computer on a flat house fan and run it during the operation. You might have to test different angles. If you have a desk top take off the sides and use a house fan at high speed blowing air on the parts in question until the process is over.

If your computer fans are not working soak them in light oil for a time then clean the oil off and see what happens before you spend money replacing them. After the oil treatment they may vibrate a bit at first but that usually goes away after a time.