Thread: XRDP + OpenVAS problem

XRDP + OpenVAS problem

I installed XRDP, which works mostly as expected (I'm still working through the up/down arrow, copy/paste issues.)
    However, when I run the OpenVAS Start or Stop commands while connected remotely I get an error for each service being started or stopped. It doesn't seem to matter what user I logon with either. This doesn't happen when connected directly to the machine. I'd like to be able to start/stop OpenVAS remotely. Any suggestion for making this work?
    The error I get is:
    /usr/bin/openvas - stop(start): line n(3,4,5, or 6): service: command not found

FYI: I'm a Linux novice.

Thanks,

BigSam

Nix XRDP

I worked my way through to a solution.
    1st of all XRDP was part of the problem; it just isn't a very user friendly remote desktop solution. I uninstalled it.
    I searched for a decent secure remote desktop solution. I finally settled on NoMachine. Naturally, NoMachine does have an issue or two that need to be worked around. First problem is that NoMachine uses port 4000, and I suspect that the user name & password are initially sent in plain text; I didn't confirm that. I know I don't want port 4000 open over the Internet (too many firewall rules for starters), and I certainly don't want to send credentials in plain text. So I installed OpenSSH & NoMachine on my Kali server, and Putty & NoMachine on my PC. Then I configured NoMachine to tunnel through the SSH connection.

It works very well. Running the OpenVAS start script works just fine. Additionally I can copy/paste between my PC & the Kali system, I can use the up/down arrows in terminal windows, transfer files, etc. NoMachine is a very nice solution - I highly recommend it. Using OpenSSL to tunnel NoMachine is your decision.