Thread: create another partition to install debian

create another partition to install debian

running kali on mbp i5
    via other threads, i have decided to dual boot (again) my mbp.
    before i had os x as main os and then re-parititioned the hd to have kali on the other side. I know how to do this in os x (as previous mac fanboy) but I want to have debian running on a partition and kali on the other partition. I only have kali installed now as my main os on my mbp.

what would be the best (simplest) way in kali to create another partition to put debian?

my partitions now are: EFI 419 mb fat / unknown 1.0 mb / 483 GB ext4 / 17 gb swap space

can i use disk utility to create another partition? I would like to do this without deleting kali.

please advise,

You need to resize your ext4 partition in order to make a second one for debian
    The simplest way is to use a live USB of kali to use G-parted and resize your partition.
    The partition cannot be mounted to be resized, that why you have to do it in live mode.
    so write gparted in a shell to lauch the partition editor
    Code:
    gparted

you could also already give a ext4 format to the partition
    Notice that in my case you don't see anyswap partition because i have already one on another partition. You don't need to make a new swap every time you add a linux operative system.
    Then, once you launch the installation, choose "alongside installation".

Wow... Thanks for the exact precise help. I have done it. THANK YOU.

Now... Whats the difference? This looks exactly the same. If i create a new user with standard account (not root) in kali, isn't that the same result as using debian? Kali standard account = debian. Right?

In kali or debian you can use a root account or a sdtandard user account.
    When you use an installed linux system it is very important to create a non-root account that you use for daily-normal use of computer, even if you are an experimented linux user.
    The fact that you can easly obtein root privilege by using "sudo" in shell makes it very easy to use this programs that needs administrator privilege
    So once you installed Kali or debian or xubutnu etc... you have to create a non-root account, add the user in the fille suddoer to get administrative power when you want them.
    That is a very efficient protection against external attacks ( need for the password to get administartive privilege ) ... and against your own mistakes.

Kali standard account = debian. Right?
    It is not realy like this .... let's say that Kali is a fork of debian, a distribution bazed on debian
    For sure you feel it is the same because in essence... it is the same.