Thread: NetBeans

Question NetBeans

Hello all!

I'm new to the "Linux World" and i have a question: I'd like to know how can somebody request an update for a software.

In my case, I am a NetBeans user, and the version provided by Kali (and other linux versions... I've checked also a few other) -via: apt-get install netbeans - is an old version (v. 6), wich have a lot of bugs. First, i could not create a new project (freezes after I press New button). After searching online, I found that I have to provide the path to java and the recomandation is to upgrade to the latest version. After that problem being fixed, I was able to create a new project, but then, when I tried to write a php code, the enter key didn't work (I couldn't get a new line), and again, the recomandation was to update the software (v. 8). So, i've uninstalled the software and installed it manualy. Now everything works just fine.

It's not such a big problem, but I'm wondering if it's possible to make a request for updating softwares (in this case NetBeans), and if it's possible, how it's done.

Thank you for your time!

Solution to problem: get rid of crappy net beans as it is very poorly optimized for linux and get Eclipse instead

ROCKTUX88, thank you for your reply! I haven't worked with Eclipse, but I'll try it. I use Netbeans because I'm new in php and it offers suggestions.

I mentioned about Netbeans because i saw this "problem" with this software, but I'm sure that there are other outdated software in the Kali repos. How can they be reported and ask to be updated (this was the main question)?