Thread: Errors installing mobilityRadeonHD4650: segfault, system settings don't work & more

Question Errors installing mobilityRadeonHD4650: segfault, system settings don't work & more

Hi guys,

I'm pretty noob in linux, this is my first installation ever, and my first post on this forum.

I've encountered a lot of problems while trying to install ATI drivers/catalyst while following a lot of tutorials here on kali and around the web...

Some details:

• Kernel Linux 3.12-kali1-686-pae
    • GNOME 3.4.2
    • Experimental Version (sid) 32 bit.... but b4 my problem i think it was: Debian GNU/Linux Kali Linux 1.0.6
    • Kali installation: USB
    • Graphic Card: ATI mobility radeonHD 4650 (2GB) (my most cursed card, give me a lot of problems even in windows.. was a lot difficult to find updated drivers)
    • PC: Vaio VGN-FW41J
    • Monitors i have TWO monitors: one of the notebook of course, and another Samsung 23" which is the only one i wanna use right now.

First problem:

I've followed this tutorial: http://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/03/...i-linux-1-0-6/

I've met my first problem after this command:

Code:
    apt-get install fglrx-atieventsd fglrx-driver fglrx-control fglrx-modules-dkms -y
    An error message said that basically my video-card is not supported anymore by this driver

The message give me some hint on the right driver:

Code:
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    Manage to install but i cannot find a way to test if the drivers were ok for me... i tried

Code:
    glxgears
    Which run pretty well, but i get 60 fps.... while i see that the guy in THAT tutorial goes on something like 600FPS & even more. I think that my 2GB should give a lot more of power so...

I tried to find the correct drivers. I've uninstalled fglrx&stuff, but i keep xserver&stuff...

Code:
    apt-get install fglrx-legacy-driver
    This is the driver i found. I tried to launch this command but a error message said that it cannot be found.

So i downloaded from another site, the official package!

fglrx-legacy-driver_8.97.100.7-4_i386.deb

and

libfglrx-legacy_8.97.100.7-4_i386.deb

I've installed this 2 package:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx-legacy-driver_8.97.100.7-4_i386.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i libfglrx-legacy_8.deb
    Now i try to follow the rest of the tutorial (top link of this post) and i try this command:

Code:
    fglrxinfo 
    fgl_glxgears
    And everything seems to work just fine. I still get 60fps... but the command is running without problems.

Next step of the tutorial was modify grub.cfg... but i was getting an error every time i've tried to save it... it was sayin' something about only reading mode

Maybe that file was in use, i dunno... so i tried to change my user to give administrator power... but i get the same error

I was root on Terminal, so grub.cfg was plain white. I had to Exit from root and return to my user... then grub.cfg was like in the tutorial.

So I tried to reboot BEFORE add the string: radeon.modeset=0 (which after some search i still cannot understand what it does)

After the reboot

fglrxinfo
    fgl_glxgears
    glxgears
    glxinfo

All this commands give me segfault error, ****.

General graphics improved, a lot nicer, automatic setting of TWO monitors in their top resolution (full hd on samsung 23" and 1600 on sony vaio...) BUT!! The FPS in the UI are lower then b4... Before everything was just fast, now when i move a window the FPS just drop to a lot lower value.

I wanna set one monitor only so i immediatly go to system settings, but wait.... it doesn't work anymore! ***? I don't get any kind of error message, i click on it, but it never pops out.

Now, question time!

What can i do to make system settings work again?

What driver i can install? I've tried to install from the official ATI site but i get only a wine error... i've tried to update wine but i didn't manage to do it : /

I know this a very long post... Thanks to everyone who have the patience to help me! I'm on this problem from 3 days know, im loosing my mental sanity... lol.

EDIT:

Details:

Kernel Linux 3.12-kali1-686-pae
    GNOME 3.4.2
    Experimental Version (sid) 32 bit.... but b4 my problem i think it was: Debian GNU/Linux Kali Linux 1.0.6
    Kali installation: USB
    PC: Vaio VGN-FW41J

Hi, im still trying to resolve my problems with Kali linux... i have already posted here and i have not recived any reply. I understand it's a long boring post so no problem

Right now i'm tryin to fix the system settings issue. Basically after installing/uninstalling some ATI drivers the system settings on Kali linux does not start.

I click on it, on the application bar i see something like "Starting system settings" (actually: "Avvio impostazioni di sistema" i have Kali linux in Italian) then it disappears... and nothing starts

I am pretty new to Linux, i'm using Kali from a few days... and without system settings it's pretty hard lol

How can i resolve it?

Edit:

Remove foul lang
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-03-31 at 09:27. Reason: Swearing

Quote Originally Posted by RandomDev View Post
    Hi guys,
    Graphic Card: ATI mobility radeonHD 4650 (2GB) (my most cursed card, give me a lot of problems even in windows.. was a lot difficult to find updated drivers)An error message said that basically my video-card is not supported anymore by this driver
    The message give me some hint on the right driver:
    Code:
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    Three things, that guide is for 64-BIT Kali Linux 1.0.6. You're on a 32bit.
    Next up, If you're installing xserver-xorg-video-radeon then why are you pushing for proprietary driver as well? As a fall back?
    Radeon is the open source driver, whereas ATI driver is proprietary.
    Lastly, if you are REALLY going to use Radeon driver, then why change grub.cfg and stop it from loading with radeon.modeset=0 ? You could blacklist it alternatively ...

My suggestion, get 64-BIT Kali and redo your steps. Good luck.