Thread: BIOS won't detect USB

Question BIOS won't detect USB

Hello

I youst maneged to install Kali linux to my usb after 5 hours of work. I installed it via unetbootin in ubuntu.
    I choose the 64 bit 1.0.6 iso version. It works flawless on my 3 year old lapptop. The problem is that the computer i want to run kali on won't detect the usb in the BIOS but it
    sees the usb while i am in windows or ubuntu. Any ide how to fix this?

/jsson

Stick to installation method in kali docs. It never mentioned the unebootin.

I follow the kali docs! :/ BIOS also won't detect it

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Stick to installation method in kali docs. It never mentioned the unebootin.
    I have the same problem. BIOS won't detect my USB until I add the EFI/Boot folder with Bootx64.efi & grubx64.efi & grub.cfg files as shown in here.

I have followed the steps mentioned in kali docs 7 times. Everytime without success. I think the problem is my motherboard can't read USB device from BIOS until there are any EFI instructions. What do you suggest me to do?

To be clear: I everytime check the validity of written files on the USB. I'm copying files from kali image .iso file to USB the same way as the kali docs tells me to. That means "sudo dd if=/Downloads/kali.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=512k" I even watch the progress thanks to other terminal "watch -n 10 kill -USR1 $pid_of_dd". After it's complete i restart my PC, look into boot options & no USB appear! How is that possible? :/ I'm really tired of this. After I have tried this my list of bootable devices raised, but after choosing the USB with Kali it just told me to install kernel first or something like this. What do I do wrong? Please help me, I'm stuck.