Thread: How can kali iso image double in size to 14.4gb?

How can kali iso image double in size to 14.4gb?

Kali-linux-1.0.6-i386.iso

KALI LINUX 32 BIT DOWNLOADS & SHA1SUM
    Kali Linux 1.0.6 32 Bit ISO - 518aad75c2c5f1c60b2068760712f7e82c02d703

I downloaded the above from this sites download page. Burnt the image on cd without issue. Some how the iso i copied from that is on my desktop has doubled in size which should be impossible but now its a 14.4gb of iso sitting on my hdd.

What happened?

How can i reduce the size of the iso so i can burn it to more cd's?

Another question regarding passwords; when i log into kali live from cd and leave the system to go idle im prompted for a password. This isn't the root password as i have changed that repeatedly after having to power the system down from the mains. I remember being asked for two seperate passwords whilst installing but im either getting the pw wrong or i have forgotten it entirely.

How do i get rid of this prompt message?

How do i change/retrieve this other pw that isn't root pw?

When installing kali linux im prompted for a proxy i thought this could be one of the mirrors however its not accepting any of them. How can i get a mirror installed?

I have loads more questions but these are top of the list. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish8 View Post
    Kali-linux-1.0.6-i386.iso

KALI LINUX 32 BIT DOWNLOADS & SHA1SUM
    Kali Linux 1.0.6 32 Bit ISO - 518aad75c2c5f1c60b2068760712f7e82c02d703

I downloaded the above from this sites download page. Burnt the image on cd without issue. Some how the iso i copied from that is on my desktop has doubled in size which should be impossible but now its a 14.4gb of iso sitting on my hdd.

What happened?

How can i reduce the size of the iso so i can burn it to more cd's?

Another question regarding passwords; when i log into kali live from cd and leave the system to go idle im prompted for a password. This isn't the root password as i have changed that repeatedly after having to power the system down from the mains. I remember being asked for two seperate passwords whilst installing but im either getting the pw wrong or i have forgotten it entirely.

How do i get rid of this prompt message?

How do i change/retrieve this other pw that isn't root pw?

When installing kali linux im prompted for a proxy i thought this could be one of the mirrors however its not accepting any of them. How can i get a mirror installed?

I have loads more questions but these are top of the list. Thanks in advance.
    Hi there,

As for the iso doubling in size, I'm not sure. That's something I've never experienced. However, if you already have Kali on a cd just make another image.

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/Kali.iso

When the screen locks have you tried the password toor? As you are live booting from the cd the password will reset after each start.

If the installer is asking for a proxy you can skip that (unless you actually need it, if that's the case you would most likely know about it.) if it wants a repo give the following a try

http://repo.kali.org/

There's no "thank you" buttons for this forum so il just say thanks for the reply. Posted twice on this site believing the internet bugged out so ignore the other one if or when it gets posted.

I have another issue but this time with wifite, il create a thread specially for that though.