Thread: Setting Kali Linux to using wifi pentesting only

Setting Kali Linux to using wifi pentesting only

Hi!

I'm pretty new to linux. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to figure out something on cracking wifi ap... almost 16 hours per day lol...

I've encounted a lot of problem. I've followed this and this tutorial and many others...

Now i've re-installed Kali Linux for the 2nd time, this time using the mini-iso. I've downloaded only the following metapackages: kali-linux-wireless | kali-linux-top10

Details about my pc and all:

-Running Kali Linux 1.0.6 32 bit.
    -Kernel: Linux 3.12-kali1-686-pae
    -Downloaded & Installed mini-iso image about 3 days ago from your official website
    -Installation: on USB flash 32gb
    -Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100
    -VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650]

My issues

I want to use wifi tools only right now such wifite, reaver ecc... and i wanna install only the essential to achieve this. I've only 32gb, so i need the smallest amount of data possible.

I've tried:

Installing non-free drivers for my gpu (fglrx)... couldn't do it. My radeon is too old and is not supported by the Fglrx from Kali Linux repositories... SO i've tried to install Fglrx-Legacy (the right one for my ATI) but unfortunetly is full of bugs: it blocks system settings, FPS rate drops to a low value and the result is a Kali Linux incredibly slower without system settings not working...

Now i'm trying to use reaver. Can't make it work neither. I get this error. THIS is the tutorial i'm trying to following.

Code:
    reaver -i mon0 -b FC-75-16-54-42-02
    This is what i get:
    Code:
    Reaver v1.4 WiFi Protected Setup Attack Tool
    Copyright (c) 2011, Tactical Network Solutions, Craig Heffner <[email protected]>

[-] Failed to retrieve a MAC address for interface 'mon0'!
    I've searched on startpage/google but i can't figure out how to make it work. I'm trying to crack my own wi-fi router.

Honestly i don't really care what tool i will use. I only want to achive my goal (crack my own wifi) in the simplest way possibile.

Any kind of help is appreciated. Thank a lot

In regards to your reaver issue you.

Try this:
    Code:
    reaver -i mon0 -b FC:75:16:54:42:02