Thread: Installing Kali Linux with Windows 8.1 (Dual Boot)

Installing Kali Linux with Windows 8.1 (Dual Boot)

Hey everyone. I have a huge problem trying to install Kali Linux alongside Windows 8.1 but the odd thing is I have done it before and it worked fine. Right now I can't get the menu up that allows me to do a graphical installation. I don't remember how I did it before, but I have Kali Linux on a disk, and am trying to boot the disk to do the install. I've tried altering my BIOS options to allow the internal CD/DVD drive to boot first but it won't. I don't have the UEFI options neither on my Windows 8.1 I am wondering if anyone can possibly inform me of some ways to boot from disk in Windows 8.1 Another thing I figured I'd note is I do not have secure boot enabled, and I did try to use DaemonTools to mount the image and use the Debian installer to do this, but that method I've heard doesn't work as of yet, and didn't work with mine neither. I appreciate any help, or advice I can get on this issue. If there is any additional needed info I will be more than happy to provide.

Are you able to access Kali live mode?

If you can, start the install from live mode and see if that works

Similar issue

Quote Originally Posted by botard89 View Post
    Hey everyone. I have a huge problem trying to install Kali Linux alongside Windows 8.1 but the odd thing is I have done it before and it worked fine. Right now I can't get the menu up that allows me to do a graphical installation. I don't remember how I did it before, but I have Kali Linux on a disk, and am trying to boot the disk to do the install. I've tried altering my BIOS options to allow the internal CD/DVD drive to boot first but it won't. I don't have the UEFI options neither on my Windows 8.1 I am wondering if anyone can possibly inform me of some ways to boot from disk in Windows 8.1 Another thing I figured I'd note is I do not have secure boot enabled, and I did try to use DaemonTools to mount the image and use the Debian installer to do this, but that method I've heard doesn't work as of yet, and didn't work with mine neither. I appreciate any help, or advice I can get on this issue. If there is any additional needed info I will be more than happy to provide.
    Hi there, I'm having very similar issue. Installing Kali on VMs works just fine - have tested on Virtual Box, VMWare, Hyper-V... Even have downloaded ISO files again to make sure I have the latest ones. All to no avail - Live USB fails to boot when I'm trying to get the installation on a laptop alongside with Windows 8.1

Anyone else experiencing similar issue?

Cheers

If you guys have access to a USB, try this:

1. Use Universal USB Installer to put Kali on the usb drive (Select Kali in dropdown, pick your image, then pick your drive)
    2. If you are on a UEFI computer system, go onto the USB drive and go into the boot folder. From there, open the boot.img file with 7zip and extract the contents to the root of the USB drive, letting it overwrite every file that it asks for.
    3. Make sure your computer boot settings are set to boot from the USB drive first.

The above should make it to where your computer will detect the drive and boot to it.

Since you want Kali and Windows Side-by-Side on the same HDD, follow these steps:
    1. boot into Kali Live then go to System Tools > Administration > gParted.
    2. Here, you want to go in and set your Windows drive to whatever size you want and leave enough for Kali to install.
    3. When this is done, click the check to accept. It will give a warning about recovery, which hopefully you do have one, and then click ok again.
    4. Reboot back into the USB, but this time, scroll down and select graphical installation.
    **For the above steps, follow this guide if the above isn't explained good enough: http://docs.kali.org/installation/du...i-with-windows

When it gets to the step for patitioning, select manual, and follow these steps: http://forum.linuxbsdos.com/topic/11...for-kali-linux
    *On the boot partition that you make, set the Bootable flag to yes (Helps alleviate errors on some systems)
    **On the part about swap partitions. If you have below 8gb of memory, use 2gb for swap, above that, use 4gb (Works good for my needs).

When all of this is done, click finish partitioning and continue till all is done and let it reboot (make sure to take the USB drive out when it reboots to keep from booting into the drive again).
    If the computer boots back into windows, restart and press whatever key your computer uses to go to the boot menu. From here, you should be able to select debian for Kali boot. I would even go as far as setting this as default cause when it gets to grub, you can use grub to boot into Windows (It will say in setup that it doesn't auto-detect a EFI partition, but if the setup worked like mine, windows will show up on Grub anyways).

Try this out and post back how this goes. Might not work for some people and will work for others.