I am a newbie to Kali and want to use it to learn hacking basics. I have downloaded the 1.0.6 32-bit ISO and burned it to a DVD, but when I try to boot with it on my Thinkpad T42 I get a message that it requires PAE, which my CPU does not have.

I found info on using live-build to create a custom ISO with PAE disabled, at
http://docs.kali.org/downloading/liv...ustom-kali-iso.

I figured the easiest way would be to boot from the Kali DVD on my newer Windows 7 system that has PAE, create the custom ISO, and then burn it to a new DVD from that system. I do not want to install Kali on that system, though. So I booted from the DVD selecting the Live (686-PAE) option.

When I follow the procedure, it appears that the lb build command is attempting to write the ISO to the system DVD. it goes through a long procedure, then gives me an error message that "You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives." I have lots of hard disk capacity, but I do not know where it is trying to write the file or how to tell it to write somewhere with more space.

I have tried copying the live-build-config folder to another drive and executing the lb build command from that folder, but got an error message that a folder was not found. I have also tried doing a cd to a directory on the hard drive, then giving the path to the live-build-config folder followed by the lb build command. (Although I also can't figure out exactly where the live-build-config folder is located. It is in a folder labeled Home.)

How can I execute execute the lb build command and specify that it should use a directory where there is enough hard disk space? Or is there a better way to build the custom ISO file?