Thread: Partition Problems When Attempting To Set Up Triple Boot Kali/Ubuntu/Windows

Partition Problems When Attempting To Set Up Triple Boot Kali/Ubuntu/Windows

I've already installed an Ubuntu 14.04 partition on a Windows 7 system. That all works with no problem but now I'm trying to install this latest version of Kali on a third partition... problem.
    I wan't to arm the readers of this post with as much information as possible so let me start by displaying the current state of partitions on my hard drive as it appears in Windows 7:
    1.jpg

I began the process by extracting the .iso using Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2 thereby creating a flash drive installer and set USB to boot first in the BIOS just like I did when I installed Ubuntu. That worked and the installation process began. The problems arrive when I get to the partitioning. I chose the Manual method because all the guided methods meant wiping out my existing partitions.
    2.jpg

I then get to the visual display of my partitions. On a side note. I'm not sure why I have or would need logical partitions. It's not my primary concern but since one of them is 220 GB I'd be curious to understand why. Anyway I chose the #3 primary partition which is 500 MB.
    3.jpg

I then made the selection to resize the partition.
    4.jpg

On the the next screen I get a message that the resize operation is impossible for an unknown reason.
    5.jpg

So the installation is a failure and now when I reboot my system and select Windows 7 from the Ubuntu GRUB, instead of going directly into Windows I now have to make a selection between windows or completing the Kali installation. Nothing has been installed because no partition was made but something must have been written to the hard drive and I would like to revert my system back to the state it was in before where I didn't have to make this selection and Windows 7 boots normally. I know it's just an extra step but it shouldn't be there and it annoys me.

As far as the partitioning goes, I've since learned that you cannot have more than three primaries and I currently have three apparently even though I've only installed two operating systems. I'm guessing that the 500 GB Primary # 3 ntfs is Windows 7 and that the 21 GB Primary #2 ntfs is Ubuntu but why is there a minuscule 106.9 MB Primary #1 fat16 taking up a position as a primary partition?

My head is about to explode.

Thanks for the help :P
    I figured it out for myself.

Hi Neobyte.

Can you help me?, I`m having the same problem, I`m trining to install Windows 8.1, Kali and Fedora 21 but i Can`t to do. How did you do?, can you display for me a screenshot with the partition table.

Thanks man

I take it you found then that:

• This person had a MS-DOS/MBR type partioning scheme on his harddisk with the 500GB dedicated to Windows.
    • This "MS-DOS" scheme can indeed contain at most 4 primaries, anything else requires one primary to become an "extended" partition that contains "logical" partitions.
    • The Ubuntu setup for this user used 2 logical partitions inside that extended partition
    • To create space for another installation he needed to either shrink the 500GB primary and enlarge the extended, then use the new free room in the extended to create more logical partitions for the new installation.... OR...
    • ..to reduce the size of the existing ext4 (logical) partition, so it leaves space (within the extended partition) to create another logical partition (or more) for this Kali/BT install.

Good luck with it. Personally I would just try to shrink the ext4 partition and make some room for another logical partition. Then reuse the swap with this new installation so you just need one swap partition for both.

Captura de tela de 2015-03-23 20_47_46-2.jpg

Show me my system, Windows7 more KaliLinux fast udate