Thread: backup grub from USB stick to another USB stick

backup grub from USB stick to another USB stick

Hi fellows!

Installed a fde kali 1.0.6, in manual partitioning I used a USB stick for /boot, and also installed GRUB to it. Works like a charm!

Now I got 2 important questions:
    1. How can I backup the preciouss content of my USB stick?
    I tried a simple copy paste of the /boot directory to another USB stick that I previously formatted (also to ext4), and I checked it to be bootable. But when I try to boot from this second USB stick, it doesn't work, just a black screen.
    So what would be the simplest solution to make it work?
    It would be also nice not to clone my USB stick to another one, because then I could make a couple of copies of it to be sure I don't lose it...but if cloning is the only solution then ok.
    Or could it be that I can backup the boot directory somewhere and then later copy paste it to a new USB stick and then install GRUB to it? I would love to find a simple and painless solution...I just couldn't find a HOWTO for this.

2. Does kali use GRUB or /boot directory at all after the boot and login is finished? Can I remove my boot USB after I'm logged in?

I am just a beginner but I googled hard today, found lots of similar stuff, but not a solution for this specific situation

Thank you!

To partly answer to my own question, /boot is needed when doing updates.
    Besides that, so far I removed the flash stick after login and everything was fine.

Now I would really like to get an answer on how to backup this USB flash drive with grub2 and /boot on it. I will not be able to enter my fde system if it breaks.

There must be someone who knows this...