Thread: virtualbox installed on kali linux as host os… host key combination reverts

virtualbox installed on kali linux as host os… host key combination reverts

i have virtual box on my kali (installed to my hdd). Kali is my host os. i put virtual box on kali and installed whonix 8.2 into virtual box. i go to file / preferences / input / virtual machine / host key combination
    default is right control
    i set it to left winekey (apple command key on left side of spacebar on my mac). i click "ok" but changes are not saved.

any ideas?

Problems Installing VirtualBox 4.3 on Kali Gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by brazen View Post
    i have virtual box on my kali (installed to my hdd). Kali is my host os. i put virtual box on kali and installed whonix 8.2 into virtual box. i go to file / preferences / input / virtual machine / host key combination
    default is right control
    i set it to left winekey (apple command key on left side of spacebar on my mac). i click "ok" but changes are not saved.

any ideas?

I'm not sure what documentation you are following to resolve your issue but I would like to know where did you learn to install VB on Kali host? I'm having trouble with my installation. I followed the tutorial posted in kali discussions but as like everything else I figured out on my own, the tut doesn't work for me. I'm attempting to install VirtualBox-4.3 on Kali Gnome. I get these message with the following commands:

Code:

root@kali:~# dpkg -i virtualbox-4.3_4.3.12-93733~Debian~wheezy_amd64.deb
    dpkg: error processing virtualbox-4.3_4.3.12-93733~Debian~wheezy_amd64.deb (--install):
     cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     virtualbox-4.3_4.3.12-93733~Debian~wheezy_amd64.deb
    root@kali:~#
    Code:
    root@kali:~# apt-get install virtualbox-4.3
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package virtualbox-4.3
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'virtualbox-4.3'

I followed the directions on this site https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads but they too have failed me. Any input would be appreciated.
    "Great understanding comes to those who find questions and question answers."

Quote Originally Posted by OS-13115 View Post
    I'm not sure what documentation you are following to resolve your issue but I would like to know where did you learn to install VB on Kali host? I'm having trouble with my installation. I followed the tutorial posted in kali discussions but as like everything else I figured out on my own, the tut doesn't work for me. I'm attempting to install VirtualBox-4.3 on Kali Gnome. I get these message with the following commands:

Code:

root@kali:~# dpkg -i virtualbox-4.3_4.3.12-93733~Debian~wheezy_amd64.deb
    dpkg: error processing virtualbox-4.3_4.3.12-93733~Debian~wheezy_amd64.deb (--install):
     cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     virtualbox-4.3_4.3.12-93733~Debian~wheezy_amd64.deb
    Code:
    root@kali:~# apt-get install virtualbox-4.3
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package virtualbox-4.3
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'virtualbox-4.3'

I followed the directions on this site https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads but they too have failed me. Any input would be appreciated.
    same problem as me !!!

Idham,

I found a solution for our similar problem. It was so obvious it had to be one over looked. Using normal user privleges running as su:

First, if you've already downloaded the VM (ViurtualBox) you may have to uninstall it and re-download it again. Though I am not sure yet because this solution was done using only one instance/install of VM. (its up to you)

After you download the VM from Oracle selecting your specified infrastructure (either i386 or amd64) locate the folder it downloaded to and right click the application and go to properties, then permissions and enable the package to executable. You'll see a checkbox.

After enabling the package to execute, right-click the package again and extract it at the current location (or a location you wish). Then, again right-click the original package (not the newly created folder from extract) and open with 'Software Installer'. (you may have to locate this option) Software Installer will perfom the actions required to install the package.

Once Software Installer has finished installing VM, you can find it under Applications > System tools > Oracle VM VirtualBox.

If you've done everything correctly, you will get an error when you try to run VM by either selecting it from the menu or...from the command line:

Code:
     os-13115@kali:~$ virtualbox
    In the terminal type:

chown root.root /tmp
    Code:
     root@kali:/home/os-13115# chown root.root /tmp
    chmod ug-s /tmp
    Code:
     root@kali:/home/os-13115# chmod ug-s /tmp
    chmod 1777 /tmp
    Code:
     root@kali:/home/os-13115# chmod 1777 /tmp

/bin/ls -Id /tmp
    Code:
     os-13115@kali:~$ /bin/ls -Id /tmp
    finall,
    virtualbox
    Code:
     root@kali:/home/os-13115# virtualbox
    You can also run VM as root or normal User once completed. To test logout as normal user and login as root and type: virtualbox in the terminal.

NOTE: if you get any error message, you can google how to fix it.
    Last edited by OS-13115; 2014-05-28 at 16:43. Reason: Update on Information

brazen,

It seems that this issue is resolved by reading the user manual http://dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net/vir...UserManual.pdf

To save you some time you can still use the winkey but in combination with ctrl+alt: thus, ctrl+alt+winkey will save. This is the only way.
    "Great understanding comes to those who find questions and question answers."