Thread: I keep breaking my Kali Linux (Repository Issues)

I keep breaking my Kali Linux (Repository Issues)

Hi.
    I have read the instructions in the Repository Issues sticky thread and in several other sites and I just keep messing up my installation.
    My Sources.list looks EXACTLY like this:

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 _Kali_ - Official Snapshot i386 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20140108-18:08]/ kali contrib main non-free

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 _Kali_ - Official Snapshot i386 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20140108-18:08]/ kali contrib main non-free

deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib

## Security updates
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    But after I do the clean, update and upgrade

apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    and reset, it just doesn't start and I have to install everything all over again.
    I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Details of my PC:

Kali version: 1.0 - 32 bits
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4

and reset, it just doesn't start and I have to install everything all over again.
    be more precise
    maybe you should separate and execute the commands one after one without answering yes automatically, to see what happens.

i see that you are trying to update form 1.0 to 1.6 .
    Did you made a different partition for your home directory? Because i guess it would be easier to install directly 1.6 over 1.0
    I am not sure if debian installer let you save your home folder or not when you overwrite the operative system.. I guess so.

1. aptitude clean
    2. aptitude update
    3. aptitude safe-upgrade (you might want to do it twice to see if no more upgrades are available)
    There is a difference between a safe-upgrade and full-upgrade (dist-upgrade, but it is deprecated in debian), so make first a safe-upgrade and reboot just to make sure the packages were not broken, something I doubt in a safe-upgrade.
    4. aptitude full-upgrade

In any case, if kernel is upgraded, you might fall into some video issues..So make sure before upgrading, the kernel version:
    uname -r

Quote Originally Posted by kcdtv View Post
    be more precise
    maybe you should separate and execute the commands one after one without answering yes automatically, to see what happens.

i see that you are trying to update form 1.0 to 1.6 .
    Did you made a different partition for your home directory? Because i guess it would be easier to install directly 1.6 over 1.0
    I am not sure if debian installer let you save your home folder or not when you overwrite the operative system.. I guess so.
    No, my home directory and my instalation are all in the same partition. I have only one partition.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    1. aptitude clean
    2. aptitude update
    3. aptitude safe-upgrade (you might want to do it twice to see if no more upgrades are available)
    There is a difference between a safe-upgrade and full-upgrade (dist-upgrade, but it is deprecated in debian), so make first a safe-upgrade and reboot just to make sure the packages were not broken, something I doubt in a safe-upgrade.
    4. aptitude full-upgrade

In any case, if kernel is upgraded, you might fall into some video issues..So make sure before upgrading, the kernel version:
    uname -r
    So making the safe upgrade first will prevent any "damage" when I do the full upgrade?

kernel relase:
    3.7-trunk-686-pae

There is no "damage" as such. When you upgrade, you upgrade packages versions, and you might fall into breaking dependencies of packages.

With fuul-upgrade, if any package has to be removed, it will uninstall it, creating a possible unstable system, why?..Because some app in linux depends on other packages.

Let me give an example: nmap, nmap depends on libc6 (2.15). If you make a safe-upgrade and there is a new version of lib6 (2.18), it will tell you that dependencies are not met (due to the version) for nmap, if you keep going, nmap will not function..So safe-upgrade wil try to update the version but will not remove any package..Full upgrade will, causing a possible dependencies issues and unstable system.

So, make as many safe-upgrades as needed, then try the full-upgrade..Read teh "man aptitude" in a terminal and read it..It will give all info you might need.

By the way, I've been from 3.7-trunk to 3.11 I belive that is MY latest version, and all with safe-upgrade first then full-upgrade. Again, the kernel version has to see very much with video and wifi drivers...

Another thing, before the safe-upgrade or full, install the linux-image-xxx (xxx=amd64, 686 pae, etc) so the next upgrade, it upgrades the kernel.
    Last edited by maverik35; 2014-05-27 at 04:01.